cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fastest ADSL2+ speed ever seen on Plusnet?

grahamt
Rising Star

Fastest ADSL2+ speed ever seen on Plusnet?

I just couldn't resist sharing this. Here's the report of the BT speed test I just did:
Download speed achieved during the test was - 268637 Kbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 600-7150 Kbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :7928 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 804 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 5500 Kbps

Not bad, eh? Better not tell the Plusnet powers-that-be. They may want to charge more for a 250mb/s+ connection.
The more relevant info for this board is that after many months my line seems to have been 'debanded'. Since the end of November it's been moving up through the bands every 3 weeks or so, syncing steadily at the top end of the 3072, then 4544, then 6656 bands. On Saturday I noticed that the line was syncing at 7180, which isn't at the top of any band, and this morning there was another resync and it's now syncing at 7928.
My guess is that this won't last very long. at 7180 the downstream SNR was 9 in the daytime, dropping to a low of 2 at night - just about OK for stability. Currently the SNR is 6, so I'm expecting trouble after about 10pm. It may not be long before banding is reapplied - the question is which band will it be.
It's interesting that the BT IP profile still hasn't changed two days after my sync speed increased beyond the range of the 5500 profile. Maybe the software doesn't work weekends. Given that the line will probably be throttled again by tomorrow it doesn't matter.
Graham
7 REPLIES 7
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: Fastest ADSL2+ speed ever seen on Plusnet?

Only 268637? I get better than that on ADSL Max!

See http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,82512.msg678485.html#msg678485 and following posts.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Have you signed up to the trial of taking control of your line parameters? http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,82081.0.html
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

We've seen a few reports of spurious BT speedtester results over the last few days. It's probably worth using another speedtester too for now.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
grahamt
Rising Star

Sorry, folks. I posted my message before reading the messages on the main Community Support forum. Clearly there are some people out there getting much faster speeds from the BT Speedtester.
jelv - yes, I have signed up for the new trial. (Thanks for asking, by the way.) I asked to be put in the 4864-9728 band. If that gives strange results I could always ask to be changed to a target of SNR=9 down and SNR=6 up.
Graham
grahamt
Rising Star

Thanks Chris - but I only ever use the BT Speedtester to see what my BT IP Profile is. I know it's unreliable (though usually in the other direction) about actual throughput.
Graham
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Maybe the software doesn't work weekends.

Probably due to the current economic climate, BT can't afford to pay it overtime, otherwise it migh not have been able to make it in due to snow!!!! Cheesy
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

More seriously though, There ought to be a simpler way of getting the BT profile without tackling the speedtester.
Like Graham I usually use this mainly to check BT profile and would rather not load the servers with unnecessary speedtesting.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.