cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

oh dear plusnet...

itwashimnotme
Rising Star

Re: oh dear plusnet...

oops . . . never noticed the thumbs up icon till now - sorry guys.

itwashimnotme
Rising Star

Hi Devorak, my router is just a standard plusnet router I believe.

I've checked it but there doesn't seem to be a model number on it anywhere.

dvorak
Fixes: 1,484

if you try this: https://www.plus.net/help/broadband/router-user-guides/#2704n-log-into-my-router

you should be able to log into your router and see the connection speeds, if you're not sure what you are seeing copy and paste here and someone will help you.

It could be this person was seeing the same issue, without resolution it seems https://community.plus.net/t5/Broadband/Very-slow-wifi-with-Hub-Zero-router/td-p/1346964
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
itwashimnotme
Rising Star

Really appreciate your help dvorak. Clicking on link now.

itwashimnotme
Rising Star

Clicked on link and straight away I saw my router. The 2704n

JayG
Pro
Fixes: 6

Sounds like the 2704n router (it does have the model number on it but it's hidden when the 'pink feet' are in the closed position.)

If you can't find an app to monitor the channels other wifi users are using in your immediate vicinity, you can use a slightly more hit and miss approach - having logged onto the router as suggested by @dvorak if you then click on the wifi settings you will see which channel you are currently on - you can set this manually to try to find a less congested channel - 1, 6 or 11 are the usual recommended alternatives.

itwashimnotme
Rising Star

Hi again guys,

Not sure if it's relevant however now looking at my router info and in the WIFI - MODE box it states; "up to 300mbps"

Could that mean that my wifi speed is being restricted to 300 ?

itwashimnotme
Rising Star

Thanks jayG, I've now changed my channel to number 6.

DS
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 22

If you have an Android mobile phone, go to the play store and in the top search bar type in wifi analyser, pick a free one.

If you have an iPhone, search for a similar named product

If your laptop uses windows, go on the web and look for inSSIDer - during the download and installation, untick any extra offered software (<- this depends on where you get it from)

When at least one is installed, launch the app and it will shows various wifi signals being beamed out from any routers in your area.

You need to find a channel with the least congestion. As mentioned above, select channel 1, 6 or 11.

(without blowing your mind further, these channels do not suffer from wifi overlap)

itwashimnotme
Rising Star

One of plusnet's tech guys guided me into the same area a week or two ago and methodically changed all of the channel numbers. It sadly didn't make any difference to my speed though.

itwashimnotme
Rising Star

Thanks DS. Heading off to playstore for that app.

Appreciate everyone's assistance. Much obliged.

DS
Seasoned Champion

Once you get it, move around the house and in to different rooms.

You need to see which channel is going to be the best.

(I will pop back to this thread shortly, just need to clear some forum email notifications - I guess other contributors to this thread may well be doing the same)

itwashimnotme
Rising Star

UPDATE; now have analyser app and there appear to be one or two connections on most channels.

On channel 1- which was my channel also) i count 7 connections, channel 11 there are 5 connections.

Hopefully moving to channel 6 might help improve speeds for me.

Again, So very grateful to all of you guys for giving your time.

Graeme. 

JayG
Pro
Fixes: 6

With around 90% of UK homes now connected to the internet, and presumably most of them having wifi too, channel congestion can be a problem, especially if you live in a very densely populated area (e.g. a tower block.)

Hopefully your channel change will help, but also give your router the best chance of delivering a strong signal by making sure it has an unobstructed 'sight' of as many of your devices as possible.

Ultimately you'll never get full line speed using 2.4 Ghz Wifi - wired connections are always faster when it's practical to use them. 

DS
Seasoned Champion

itwashimnotme wrote: (snipped) On channel 1- which was my channel also) i count 7 connections, channel 11 there are 5 connections. Hopefully moving to channel 6 might help improve speeds for me.

Hopefully you've cracked it Smiley

Check again in the evening, as some users turn their routers off when they're not using them.

The aim is, as you appear to have now sussed out, is to get the strongest and least congested channel Wink