cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

new router

jonco60

new router

i have just installed a new netgear n300 wireless gigabit modem router as i was having trouble with speed but now it is spot on, my question is i have been told it is best to leave the router switched on all of the time is this really necessary
thanks john
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: new router

It is recommended that you leave it on all the time if you want to achieve the best possible results.
If your line is near perfect, and is near the fastest that can be achieved then switching off is less of an issue.
If it is concern about electricity usage, modern routers are extremely low power consumption and will be barely measurable compared to say a freezer, when left on 24/7.
JayG
Pro
Fixes: 6

Not sure there is a definitive answer to this, or even a broad consensus of opinion, and it partly depends on how often you switch it off, and also when you switch it back on again and reconnect (re-synching at peak times and/or when noise levels are high can affect your sync rate.)
I would (cautiously!  ::)) suggest that disconnecting the session via the router's interface and then powering down once a day does not usually cause problems.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Further to my comments above, on my own router I have installed an uninterruptable power supply to ensure my router NEVER switches off during mains power glitches, and will only go off if mains has failed for more than an hour or so.
As you can see from the speedtest below, I now get the full line profile of 7150Kbps on my 8meg line.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi jonco60,
We'd always suggest leaving it on all the time. However if you did just turn it off once overnight that shouldn't cause an issue on a stable line.
Jojo Smiley