cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

moved house not heard anything in a week - supposed to have connection tommorow

pixel
Grafter

Re: moved house not heard anything in a week - supposed to have connection tommorow

it is, and no the light does not flash when the line is not plugged in.
I have ordered a new router from amazon, TP-LINK TD-8817 ADSL2+ Ethernet/USB Modem Router  to see if that fixes it.
edit: and have an engineer booked for Friday morning if it does not!
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 396

Re: moved house not heard anything in a week - supposed to have connection tommorow

it is, and no the light does not flash when the line is not plugged in.
I must apologise  :(, I was convinced the TG582n would flash it's BB light even when not connected to the line. Having tried one I have here, it doesn't, I must have it confused with my normal router, a 2700HGV ( aka BT Business hub ) as that does flash when not connected.
The TD-8817 should be fine to test whether the line is active, just plug it in and see if the ADSL light flashes and then stays on. 

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

pixel
Grafter

Thanks MisterW.
Well, the new modem finds no signal either, so the line is definitely not working. Guess I need to wait for the engineer on Friday.  Cry
Either the mastersocket is faulty, or there is a problem with the external wiring, or it is the local exchange cabinet not setup correctly, or it is the main exchange did something wrong.
Will be interesting to see which it is.
My bet is the local exchange cabinet needs something doing to it. Any bets?
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 396

Either the mastersocket is faulty, or there is a problem with the external wiring, or it is the local exchange cabinet not setup correctly, or it is the main exchange did something wrong.
I don't see how it can be the master socket, you've tried in the test socket and if the phone is working then the actual line must be connected. More likely the engineer didn't jumper the line correctly in the exchange or the line card it's jumpered to is faulty.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

pixel
Grafter

ok thanks MisterW, that makes sense!  Smiley
pixel
Grafter

Quote from: pixel

My bet is the local exchange cabinet needs something doing to it. Any bets?

YARP!
Internet working at last!!! 🙂
and yes...I was right....the local cabinet had not had the wiring connected up correctly after the roll out of fibre
Thanks to all who helped, much appreciated.
Till the next time which will hopefully be a while coming! 🙂
Cheers
p.s. the BT engineer who turned up was really helpful, competent and gets a big thumbs up from me. Can that be fed back to BT?