cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

connection problems

PeterS2

connection problems

Since moving to PlusNet, certain web site report that they cannot operate fully because I am not connected to the internet.  However, I know that I am connected, because other sites operate quite normally.  What is the most likely reason for this and how can I correct it?

11 REPLIES 11
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 274

Re: connection problems

@PeterS2 Are these sites of a specific type? There is no reason why this should happen that I am aware of.

John
PeterS2

Thanks, John

One important example is my Norton Internet Security account, where the problem is "partial", in that most facilities work OK, but for much of the time I cannot make use of my VPN because the site reports that it needs an internet connection for this (I know that it has a connection, because everything else in Norton seems to work with no problem.

Regards

Peter

jab1
Legend

Peter, this sounds like a routing problem, but I can't be certain, and can't even attempt to check for you as (a) I wouldn't touch Norton with a barge-pole and (b) I am not on the Plusnet network. Is the VPN part of Norton, or a separate application?

John
PeterS2

Thanks, John

The VPN is part of Norton.  Other sites that report that they need an internet connection - when I'm definitely connected - are Microsoft Store and Microsoft games colection.

Peter

jab1
Legend

Ah. I think I may have a possible (partial) answer here - Microsoft will expect to see a request from a UK IP address, if you are using a VPN, it quite possibly will see one from another country and block it accordingly, as a possible 'threat'.

A question for you - why do you use a VPN for normal browsing - it can, and will, introduce all sorts of complications?

John
PeterS2

Thanks, John

Norton is currently saying that it cannot connect to the internet and its VPN is curently off, but I still can't connect to Microsoft store (it still says I need to be connected to the internet (when I know that I am!).  This will perhaps have to remain one of life's little mysteries, but thanks for trying anyway.  (It's not a major problem - most of the sites that I use frequently seem to work OK.)

Peter

jab1
Legend

Beyond me, Peter. If you are browsing via a normal connection, something weird is going off here, and it is beyond my understanding.

John
Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 87

@PeterS2 

A starting point for me would be to check with Norton online support, rather than asking questions here. Unless the member replying to you actually uses the product they can only give generic help regardless how helpful they are.

PeterS2

Thanks, Dan

I've tried getting help directly from the Norton community and from Norton, but don't seem to be getting very far.  Thanks for your response anyway!

Peter

Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 87

That's a bit disappointing 🙄

Have you tried reinstalling the app?

Champnet
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 13

Try disabling all occurrences of norton services from starting. Task Manager ->Startup

If there's a lot of entries make a note of them. Re-boot & see what happens..........