cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

connecting shed fibre network

dogmatix

connecting shed fibre network

Hello, Has anyone got any pointers on best way to connect my newly installed fibre connection to my shed? The wifi signal from house is too weak. Main idea is to run an ethernet cable to the shed from the modem and operate a second wifi router in the shed. Is this possible? Second I have seen something about running a signal through electrical sockets, but also remember the openreach guy that fitted my fibre said that fibre wouldn't work via this method because of the speed/frequency? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
2 REPLIES 2
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: connecting shed fibre network

Running an Ethernet cable would be the absolute best solution. Powerline/homeplugs would probably be OK if you went to the 500mbs version.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

Re: connecting shed fibre network

Rather than a router in the shed you should get a wireless access point (AP), which will be a lot easier to set-up. If you want wireless and wired connections in the shed just put a switch on the end of the cable and connect the AP to the switch.
How far is the shed from the existing router? Cat 5e cable running at 100Mbs has a maximum length between devices of 100 meters. If the distance is more than that the only option would be powerline adaptors, although they can have problems if your shed power is isolated.