cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

broadband dropout faults

ajs18c

broadband dropout faults

Sad Help please,
Since early Novemebr my voyager router or line from BT has had a fault that causes many dropouts. My average connection recently has been 3 minutes so as you can assume i am not a happy bunny. I have taken 3 days off work for 3 BT openreach vists that stablilises it  for a short period then goes wrong again a she pulls away in his van. Has anyone had the same problem as me or could offer any suggestions, i am using Vista and when using other peoples lines or mobile internet its fine.
Thanks for reading
Richie
11 REPLIES 11
newmillscomp
Grafter

Re: broadband dropout faults

I have come accross a lot of faulty Voyager routers in my time,
I would suggest borrowing a router from a friend and trying it on your line.
James
Grafter

Hi Richie,
How long did the engineer stay for?  For intermittent connections like yours, they are meant to stay for the full 2 hours to see if the connection drops?
I take it that you've done all the usual things like replacing the filter & router and checking out your internal wiring?
ajs18c

Thank you both for replying
!st
I have tried a fixed loan router from plusnet and this would not even connect or sync so i return it and carried on with the voyager. Intreseting to hear of router faults on voyagers thanks a avenue to check again.
2nd
Yes i have tried all the tests suggested by plusnet. The BT engineers stay for 1 hour on average the 1st reconnected my line from the link box in the road to the exchange,  the 2nd replaced my master socket and i have tried another filter face plate loaned to me, 3rd engineer stayed the longest tried all things to test the line and reconnected my terminals box wiring as well as the 2 pole connections that take the ling to the link box.
It appears stable during their time at my house but then it drops out later they then set my speed to 137kbps that wind sme up when a fault is raised to BT the thumb screws come off and iam up to 3000kbps thanks for helping
James
Grafter

I'd definitely bear with the faults process.
I know it's infuriating to have an engineer come round and they don't actually fix the fault, especially 3 times.  I sincerely believe that you have just been horribly unlucky.  I suspect that we may need to have a 4th engineer booked at a time that is as convenient for you as we can possibly manage.
I'll try and chase this in the morning and raise it with the faults team manager to see if we can escalate this at all within BT.
ajs18c

Angry Sad Cry
What happens at plusnet i wonder they say they are dealing with my problem then start sending repeat instructions telling me to do this and that. Guess what if tried all those ideas since 16th November so if James is reading this please ask those people listed on my members centre page aj51bcs to stop sending them Thank you.
Guess what my modems wifi has stopped now so prehaps as the reply earlier the Voyager may be faulty i have asked to loan one from plusnet as i am sourounded by elderly neighbours who do not use the internet.
Any help or ideas still greatly received Cry
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Are we talking about variable sync speeds here or just throughput? Some router  ADSL stats may be helpful. I know it will be a bit of a nuisance, but you should use an ethernet (ie. wired ) connection, eliminating the wifi irrespective of it currently seeming to have stopped, in case there is variabilty there which has been causing problems. Stay wired until this is resolved.
James
Grafter

Hi again,
I'm sorry for the repetition.
I can see from your ticket that Bt are looking to send another engineer.  Could you possibly try using a different modem from the Voyager  on your line before requesting another engineer appointment?
If we're sending you a test router that would be ideal.  Please keep us updated and we'll help wherever we can.
ajs18c

Smiley
Yippee i have found a router to play about with, another voyager but up to 5696 dsl ip profile limit up to 2k. Problems still on connections though 12 hour connection line up count is 36, HEC errors at 38, niose margin 16.6 dB and  line attenuation 34dB.
My most useful tip is when the line up drops i ring the BT test system and the quiteline test show or it sounds like a static problem exists i can even hear the router syncing up  The weekend just passed i worked with Local County Council in their IT Suite doing Electrical upgrades and they were surprised at the time taken by BT, happly on the Sunday a BT tech came to restart the phone sysytem and offered some good advise he to was embrassed that BT have let me down he spoke of a specailist fault team for complex faults that mine is thought to be, fingers crossed this Saturday i have engineer number 4 For morning tea and fault finding. Bye all for now and thanks for reading and replies,
Richie
James
Grafter

Good luck Richie Smiley
ajs18c

Grin
There is intelligent lifefrom in BT I was lucky enough that he came to attended to my fault today. Firstly he listerned to what i had to say and climbed the pole and found ?  wait for it the drop wire was at fault he shinned up the pole and changed the wire, i fitted the internal cabling for him we then shared a cup of tea did every line check possible and BINGO no noise sync rate 7.2mbs IP 2.2 i have to wait 72 hours then we are cooking on gas hopefully.
The morale of the story is keep reporting it to your ISP then when all else fails BT ask for a manager and give him a hard time.
Yours Richie
ps if this fails i am emergrating Cool
James
Grafter

That's great news Smiley