cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will I be activated this Saturday or a day early?

Moominfish
Grafter

Re: Will I be activated this Saturday or a day early?

Well I tried it in the test socket for a one off test and the info from my router status is below,

And it looks like the noise margin is 11.5db and the upstream is now only 21db as opposed to 26db when not plugged into the test socket.
So I guess I'll just wait and see what happens when the 10 day training period is over.
I do have a question though, because every night (and i've done this for a long time) when I shut my pc down, I also switch off the surge protector at the wall because my dad has a surge protector and during one night when it was raining/lightning outside and even though his pc was off (but switched on at the wall) his pc still died even though it wasn't even switched on during the storm!! So I've been paranoid ever since if mine is switched on at the wall even though the actual pc is OFF then mine might suffer the same fate so I always switch off at the wall now, and connected to the surge protector is the pc, monitor, speakers and router power cable, so on a night it's all completely switched off and the router has to reacquire the dsl signal in the morning or whenever I switch the pc on, so would that have any effect on the noise margin or anything at all?
The reason I ask is the router I have is a Netgear DG834G and that itself has a power on/off button at the back of the router so I'd assume it's ok to turn it off anyway? I never used to have any problems with my old ISP when it came to connection speed, sometimes even seeing a downstream connection speed of roughly 7400 kb/s most of the time and I changed over to Plusnet because of the now legendary long running poor service from Virgins ADSL service and no support from any of their staff (but that's a whole other story) and most people probably know now anyway what with me, severedsolo, paulpicks, nittygritty and the rest! all jumping ship from Virgin to Plusnet!
Anyway I'd assume once the 10 day training period is up I should see sync speeds of +7000 kbps? Shouldn't I? Unless everytime the router is switched off it goes back into a new 10 day training period?Huh
Oh and for the record this is from a speedtest I did over at mybroadbandspeedtest,

And again (see below) just for good measure which shows their is some fluctuation on the line until it all settles down I guess? And not sure if this helps or not but according to samknows it tells me "You are approximately 1.03km from the exchange. Note that this is the straight line distance - the actual cable length will be longer!"
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Unfortunately during the ten day training period, it is strongly recommended that the router is left switched on
On the surge point. dont worry about the power cables, if you phone line takes a hit it can blow up anything attached to it
itsme
Grafter

I can testify to that. I had a surge on the telephone line, probably caused by nearby lightening. it took out a couple of ADSL splitters, ADSL modem, modem card in the PC and a VoIP adapter. It also took out the surge protector I had fitted on the telphone line  >:(.
Moominfish
Grafter

You what! So even with a surge protector your clearly not going to be protected so it's pretty pointless having one? What brand of surge protector did you have itsme?
Also it makes me question why waste money on a surge protector if they offer little to no protection?
reserved
Grafter

Quote from: itsme
I can testify to that. I had a surge on the telephone line, probably caused by nearby lightening. it took out a couple of ADSL splitters, ADSL modem, modem card in the PC and a VoIP adapter. It also took out the surge protector I had fitted on the telphone line  >:(.

I don't think any surge protector will withstand a direct lightning strike!
It will prevent damage caused by contact with normal electrical voltages.
Moominfish
Grafter

Quote from: Moominfish
[Moderator's note by Dick(Strat) Avoidance of swear filter as per forum rules.

What? Guess I didn't read that rule as I haven't avoided any swear filter by choice! And I mean come on everyone on here is an adult so I'm sure they've heard much worse than a bleeped out common swear word!
But hey rules are rules so I'll just swear elsewhere Cheesy
itsme
Grafter

I forgot the ethernet card in the PC. This surprised me as all the other devices taken out were directly connected to the telephone line, or in some cases indirecly through the surge protector. I come to the conclusion that it was taken out by the fact that the PC ethernet was plugged into the VoIP adapter and the surge jumped from telephone to ethernet in this device.
The surge protector was a Belkin 6 way outlet with telephone protection.
I did not suffer a direct lightening hit, it was more likely some form of mutual coupling of the telephone cabling with the electrical storm. Semiconductors devices fail fast when taken pass their rated parameters so the protection device has to act faster which is very hard to achieved.
itsme
Grafter

What? Guess I didn't read that rule as I haven't avoided any swear filter by choice! And I mean come on everyone on here is an adult so I'm sure they've heard much worse than a bleeped out common swear word!

@Moominfish
Can I advise you to read the forum rules as you have broken another by removing the moderators note on your offending post.
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Moderator Note
come on everyone on here is an adult

Not everyone Moominfish which is why we try to keep it family friendly Smiley
Glad you understand that point but as itsme has correctly pointed out you have broken this rule.
Please read the Forum rules and try to abide by them.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
torbayguy
Grafter

@Moominfish
Can I advise you to read the forum rules as you have broken another by removing the moderators note on your offending post.

hahahaha  Grin Grin Grin
dick:blue Excessive emoticons removed as per forum rules
Moominfish
Grafter

@Moominfish

No you cannot as everytime I log in i'm forced to read the forum rules against my will anyway as the 1st page that pops up is you guessed it forum rules!! Which didn't happen before!
Quote from: Strat
Moderator Note
come on everyone on here is an adult

Not everyone Moominfish which is why we try to keep it family friendly Smiley
Glad you understand that point but as itsme has correctly pointed out you have broken this rule.
Please read the Forum rules and try to abide by them.

I will read the rules certainly but in my own time :), but I do not appreciate having them forced upon me as soon as I log in! Not everything should be all about rules you know even if I do understand where your coming from Smiley
Also I noticed it says this,
"User removal of a moderators note
If a moderator leaves a note in a post, this must not be removed. They are left so the forum community knows what has happened to the post, and why the moderator has carried out any action. Hence, we treat this unofficial removal very seriously."
If it's treated as VERY seriously then I assume something is going to happen? If so what? Never in my life have I seen such monitoring of users posts, I understand rules are rules but some rules are just plain silly! I mean come on removal of a moderators note on MY post as far as I'm concerned is up to me as I made the post so I should be able to choose what's on it, you know free speech and all that also applies to what I freely wish to have on MY post, and if I choose to edit it then I should have that right, but obviously not.
Here's a suggestion, for someone whose clearly a new member why not private message said member requesting they read the rules instead of treating them like children and modifying their posts for them? By all means change the wording so the swear word isn't visible (even though it was censored by me with a star instead of the letter that makes it into a swear word which I thought was allowed everywhere! ) but to modify my post which wasn't deliberately offensive in any way without consulting me first I found offensive to me, perhaps a but more leniency with new members would go a long way, so please take my suggestion on board as I now don't feel like signing into these forums again!
pierre_pierre
Grafter

another rule you will find if you read them is that you can be banned from the forum for a short period of time, and for  flagrant violation completely banned, so in your own interest read them
Moominfish
Grafter

Ooh betty, lock me up and throw away the key, GUILTY as charged!
And cue the blatant over reaction from pierre.........
Now seems as though your all about rules pierre here's one I made just for you and seems as though your all about rules you'll follow it won't you.
Rule for pierre) Get down from your high horse and come and join us mere mortals, it's much better down here.
Remember what I said I'm new as are a lot of other people here and I won't be forced into doing anything I don't want to do and I will read the rules in my own good time and not before ok.............
maranello
Pro
Fixes: 2

And cue the blatant over reaction from pierre.........

Coffee Pot
Kettle
Black
Roll_eyes Roll_eyes Roll_eyes
My other car isn't a Ferrari
Moominfish
Grafter

Coffee you say? Goooooo on then< make it just the 1 sugar though i'm trying to cut down  Crazy