cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which range extender to use with the Thomson?

pboyall

Which range extender to use with the Thomson?

Hi guys
Have had the new fibre broadband in for a month and fiddled around but I have to admit defeat on getting a reliable wireless signal throughout the house. 
Had a go at re configuring the old Buffalo WBMR-G300N to work in Bridge mode but couldn't persuade it to bridge from wireless to wireless.  Thought I was being optimistic.  DD-WRT not available as the "B" model has a modem.
So, I need to buy a wireless range extender (seems safer than hoping another router will have better range - I can cable up the office and place the wireless bit of the range extender somewhere it's guaranteed to get a signal).
Can anyone recommend one which will definitely play nice with the Thomson (sorry, Technicolor) 582pn?
Thanks in advance ...
2 REPLIES 2
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Re: Which range extender to use with the Thomson?

Personally I would get a new router rather than an extender, not much difference in the price.
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: Which range extender to use with the Thomson?

Quote from: pboyall
Hi guys
Have had the new fibre broadband in for a month and fiddled around but I have to admit defeat on getting a reliable wireless signal throughout the house. 
Had a go at re configuring the old Buffalo WBMR-G300N to work in Bridge mode but couldn't persuade it to bridge from wireless to wireless.  Thought I was being optimistic.  DD-WRT not available as the "B" model has a modem.
So, I need to buy a wireless range extender (seems safer than hoping another router will have better range - I can cable up the office and place the wireless bit of the range extender somewhere it's guaranteed to get a signal).
Can anyone recommend one which will definitely play nice with the Thomson (sorry, Technicolor) 582pn?
Thanks in advance ...

No need to configure as a Bridge, try plugging a LAN port (rather than the WAN port) of the Buffalo router to the 582.  Disable the DHCP server of the Buffalo router and set its management address to be outside the range of addresses that the 582 offers.