Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When is Full Launch Due?

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Re: When is Full Launch Due?

This  link may interest you all. I've posted similar in all the portal forums too.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Penny
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 8

Quote from: Kelly
Well, we are now on the big set of hardware..... Almost there.

Are the ongoing changes to get the Community Site ready for the "big launch" having some effect on loading time?
Only ask because it has been taking up to 25 seconds to get individual pages to load here, in the last few days.  By contrast the PlusNet UserGroup forums at http://usergroup.plus.net/forum/index.php load virtually instantly.
I believe PUG has only one server (and this site has seven if I've understood Liam's post on the PUG Portal thread correctly) so is it just the launch preparations causing the delays?
Regards,
Penny.
Penny Rollo * * * joined Force9 on 17/02/98 * * * with PlusNet from 2000 onwards * * * personal website at pennymidasrollo.plus.com
Project HappyChild website (free educational resources for kids and schools, plus directory of charities helping children) 1998 onwards
Superusers are not PlusNet staff but do have a direct line of communication into the business to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the Community.
Dusty
Grafter

Its been running super fast here from the moment i joined
Penny
Superuser
Superuser

Quote from: Dusty
Its been running super fast here from the moment i joined

How weird.  I've found it really patchy the last few days though I have to say it's seemed a lot faster since I posted last night, and it's fine at the moment.
I just flagged it up because it's been so noticeably-slow in places, really unusually slow.  You not had any delays at all in the last week?  Maybe it's my connection though I haven't had this problem with any other site I don't think.
Regards,
Penny.
Penny Rollo * * * joined Force9 on 17/02/98 * * * with PlusNet from 2000 onwards * * * personal website at pennymidasrollo.plus.com
Project HappyChild website (free educational resources for kids and schools, plus directory of charities helping children) 1998 onwards
Superusers are not PlusNet staff but do have a direct line of communication into the business to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the Community.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Just so everyone is aware:-
On the 1st August we plan to be make the old forums read only, which will mean no new posts will be accepted and people wishing to post will be directed to the community site.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

Quote from: Penny
I just flagged it up because it's been so noticeably-slow in places, really unusually slow.  You not had any delays at all in the last week?  Maybe it's my connection though I haven't had this problem with any other site I don't think.

It's seemed fine for me.  We are obviously posting from almost right on the server so we should see if there were server side issues.
Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
Penny
Superuser
Superuser

Quote from: Kelly
It's seemed fine for me.

Dunno what to say, then  Huh  The Community Site has been really laggy again today at times, 30-45 second delays - maybe it's just my PC, but the UserGroup forums at http://usergroup.plus.net/forum/index.php load fine (consistently) so I'm a bit mystified if no one else is seeing the comm site delays.
Saturn
Grafter

Well here goes......
The speed seems ok from here
Penny
Superuser
Superuser

Quote from: Saturn
The speed seems ok from here

And seemingly from everywhere else also, judging by the numbers of people on line here and no-one else at all flagging up speed issues.
No idea where the delays (here) in comm-site-loading are coming from then; just something else to chalk up as one of life's minor anomalies Smiley
Regards,
Penny.
James
Grafter

For me today, it's the quickest it's been since we moved it onto the new hardware.
Penny
Superuser
Superuser

Quote from: James_H
Seems super speedy here too.
Faster than the PUG site, which is to be expected of course.

... a somewhat unexpected sideswipe at PUG?  I don't visit the PUG website at http://usergroup.plus.net often, but I can affirm that the PUG forums at http://usergroup.plus.net/forum/index.php always load fine for me at least.
This Community Site, though?  No, it really doesn't load swiftly (here) and it's got worse not better in the last couple of days.  I'm becoming fairly resigned to "life in the slow lane"  Roll_eyes
.... I'd thought I might visit more later, when the designers figure out a way to put side borders on the posts to separate them from the wide white margins (the present sea-of-white does my head in), but it seems like my access here for whatever reason just simply doesn't work quite like everyone else's.  Maybe there's a moral there somewhere and I should confine what limited time I do have for posting, to the PUG forums ....
Penny
Superuser
Superuser

Quote from: James_H
Penny, your IP appears to be an NTL one, if thats the case, I wonder if anybody else has had issues getting to the site via an NTL connection.

Yep, free access (authorised!) via cable someone else pays for (both my PN connections are dial-up and the house here already had NTL installed) - however no-one else on the commsite has flagged up any problems getting the commsite pages so it doesn't look like a generic NTL-access-to-PN problem.  Weird.
Liveable-with if I don't visit the commsite much Smiley not getting this problem with any other site, so, like I said before, just something to put down as one of life's minor anomalies.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Quote from: Penny
.. I'd thought I might visit more later, when the designers figure out a way to put side borders on the posts to separate them from the wide white margins (the present sea-of-white does my head in)

Have you tried this Penny? You can create a custom style sheet to stretch the forums full width like the PUG ones.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Penny
Superuser
Superuser

Quote from: Bob
Have you tried this Penny? You can create a custom style sheet to stretch the forums full width like the PUG ones.

LOL
Nice thought, Bob, but I'm really not going to change any settings here just to view this one forum Smiley
Quite apart from my legendary propensity to screw up anything to do with PCs, I'm not risking changing settings that I need to be able to build the PHC site effectively.
All the Community Site forums need to make them easier-on-the-eye is a single black border line down each side of the block where the posts are (or a midnight-blue one, or whatever fits with the colour scheme).  The portal forums had lines down the sides of the post blocks, so it's hardly a major request.
I can live with the wishy-washy post background colours but not putting lines round tables set against huge white margins gives a shapeless output and definition is lost.  Maybe "shapeless" is what's being aimed for here, but I really don't like it which is why I avoid visiting unless absolutely necessary.
People have complained about the lack of definition since the outset of "beta" and nothing has changed, so I figure there's little intention at the PN end, to change anything.
At the end of the day PN call the shots on how this forum looks so fair do's, make it look however you want it to.  I don't have any personal axe to grind here - my comments originally were general ones because I figured other people would have issues with it the same way I do.
Building as I do, a website that techie-people look at and throw up their hands in horror, I fully appreciate that not everyone has the same ideas about what "works" or "doesn't" in terms of web design.  The present "visual aspects" of the Community Site disincline me to visit it, but I have in the past been informed that the site I build has the same effect on techie people.
At the end of the day I design webpages in a format that appeals to the majority of the people who visit those pages, and no doubt PN aim to do likewise Smiley
Regards,
Penny.
Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

Can you do us a traceroute to community.plus.net to see if that reveals anything?
I used telewest/ntl/virgin from home and haven't seen any speed problem yet.
Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager