Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Whats larks,eh?

Kittyfrisk
Grafter

Re: Whats larks,eh?

Update.
Apart from the dropout at 4am this morning, there have been at least another 4 dropouts between 2.14pm to 3.16pm.
I have attached a copy of the stats which now show the interleaving at 8 down 4 up, from the 16 down 4 up on the 3rd of the month.
Not sure when this latest change took place, I will update when I have more information about stability (oh, please!).
I should also like to apologise for any transgressions of Forum rules regarding the earlier inclusion of CSA names in my postings.
My ignorance, although I fully accept that is no excuse  Embarrassed
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Don't bother about breaking the rules once - it gives the moderators something to do  Grin
Kittyfrisk
Grafter

Thanks,
Only minor mortification experienced this time...
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

I think you must be on a WBC (aka 21CN) exchange with ADSL2/2+ available, so you should probably get Plusnet to switch you over to ADSL2, after the phone fault is fixed.
Kittyfrisk
Grafter

Hi,
Exchange details attached.
I'm about 3.5 to 4miles away and I reckon that I'm actually connected with string not cable  Sad
I was considering FTTC (just arrived n the last couple of months), but if the wiring between me and the cabinet is the problem (as I believe)... then you might see my predicament.
So I need to get this sorted out so that I can decide on what to do.
Cheers.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

I'm going to be honest, I'm a bit frustrated by the response on the fault ticket. The update I put on there was quite clear that it needed to be looked at as a phone fault and yet for some reason we've ignored that and tried to fix broadband issues. I've fed this back and can only assume they went down the broadband route as the copper line test they ran passed.
I had a cold call around 6pm yesterday evening and the noise was present/

That says phone fault to me. Can you confirm you've tried a single corded handset in to the master socket and the noise is still present then? The line itself is testing as clear, so the first step is to book an engineer if the noise is present then.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Kittyfrisk
Grafter

Hi Chris,
Thank you for your response.
Sorry about my delayed reply, work & personal life have been insane.. not to mention the phone issues  Smiley
I have had a couple of further daily drop outs since the message about the interleaving.
I have attached stats and the TBB graph for Wednesday that shows the drop (yesterday's is still on my home computer).
The interleaving has gone back to Depth 16 down, 4 up, so clearly someone is doing some tweaking somewhere but it doesn't seem to be having much effect on preventing the signal loss.
You mentioned "Can you confirm you've tried a single corded handset in to the master socket and the noise is still present then?"
The intermittent nature of the problem is what is causing me the most grief, as it is not repeatable when I really need it to be i.e. when an engineer is there.
If I happen to actually be in the house and notice that the drop out occurs or I hear noise on the phone, by the time I get the faceplate off and get my corded handset into the Master Socket, the noise can have disappeared.
Having said that, in the recent past I have been directly connected to the master socket (with and without a filter) with the corded set and done a 'quiet line' 17070 option 2 test, I have heard noise, so I'm not that bothered about it's ability to be repeated on cue as it were.
Actually I have recordings on my mobile of the line noise that I took over the last couple of weeks when things were really bad, so I can actually reproduce/prove the noise existed.
I wonder if you (or any of the Forum users) help with a couple of points that have been musing on?
Given that I use a divided/split ADSL faceplate with connections for phone and BB (I have 3 such faceplates to cut out the likelihood of a dodgy one) am I right in thinking that this would completely isolate/separate the phone & BB components and therefore reduce the possibility of interference?
Also, even though I usually use a cordless phone (doesn't almost everyone?) that operates on the 2.4Ghz range, my router does not have this frequency enabled (I turned it off) as I now only use the 5Ghz range, so I am I correct in assuming that this cannot be something that could adversely be affecting the situation?
Many thanks for your help.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Hi Kittyfrisk,
Just to be clear, you have 3 filtering face plates used as alternatives, not simultaneously?
All that the filter does is to stop the ADSL frequencies 'getting through' to the phone and (for the phone side) regenerates the ring current for the phone.  It does not however stop interference from the phone, phone wiring (for example bell wire) impacting ADSL performance.
Multiple filtering ought not to be needed, though some have an experience which suggests that it delivers better performance.
Personally, in the presence of line noise, I would not be looking for DECT phone interference here.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Kittyfrisk
Grafter

Hi,
No, I have 3 separate filtered face plates that I have tried at different times, not all together.
That would a sight to see  Wink
The latest plate (on at the moment) is a 2 + 1 ADSL/VDSL Filtered Faceplate 2015 model by Pressac as used by BT, so I can't get any better (I believe).
I had read on other forums such as Kitz that with split/filtered faceplates, the bell wire may possibly still be connected, but that the ADSL filtered face plate would nullify this potential effect on the BB signal.
Also I have avoided multiple filtering as I did not want to 'muddy the waters' by adding complication while looking for a solution.
That's the thing with t'interweb, there is so much information out there and some of it is actually true...
I just checked the online TBB monitor and I lost connection at around 10 am today, whilst I'm at work and the house is empty.
Wonder if the cat is on the phone while I'm out  Cheesy
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Quote from: Townman
All that the filter does is to stop the ADSL frequencies 'getting through' to the phone and (for the phone side) regenerates the ring current for the phone.  It does not however stop interference from the phone, phone wiring (for example bell wire) impacting ADSL performance.

Surely the filter does work in both directions, blocking any noise from the phone from entering the line with the broadband signal? The part of a BT SSFP that plugs into your master socket, and the plug on many microfilters, only has 2 contacts, on pins 2 and 5. The bell wire output from a microfilter is only connected on the filtered telephone socket. I thought the bell wire being connected to a filtered faceplate shouldn't be a problem, in much the same way as a telephone plugged into a microfilter, with its bell wire connected, and probably using a piece of not twisted pair telephone cable, shouldn't be a problem. It is, after all, essentially the same arrangement.
Kittyfrisk
Grafter

Update.
I have just had Plusnet support on the phone.
Despite my usual habit being letting withheld numbers go unanswered, I picked up.
There is an engineer coming out tomorrow afternoon between 1 - 6pm.
I believe the expression is ... Result! Whoo hoo  Grin
Fingers crossed that the engineer actually finds something 'real' as I would be gutted if not.
I'll let everyone know what happens.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

If you can get away with it, make a right song and dance of the rather poor internal wiring to the master socket.  Ask if it is twisted pair of a suitable quality for GOOD ADSL operation?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Kittyfrisk
Grafter

Hi Townman.
Thanks for the information.
If you or anyone else has any other tips as to how to proceed, I'm happy to take that advice.
Cheers.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

...now you come to mention it, make sure you place a call to the line whilst they are running their tests.

Kittyfrisk
Grafter

Thanks, that's a good idea.
I reckon that's exactly what mobiles were invented for  Smiley