cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What speed is reasonable to expect

Mand
Grafter

Re:What speed is reasonable to expect

With those attenuation figures I'd expect better than the speeds you're currently syncing at.
If you're happy you've eliminated everything internally I can 'persuade' BTw to reset your SNR?
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Re: What speed is reasonable to expect

I don't think that's the case yet Mand, but thanks I'm sure he'll appreciate the SNR reset once it's resolved. (I'll drop you a PM)
fp
Grafter

Quote from: Anotherone
Ah good, well not so good.
I was of the opinion there was a bit of inconsistency in some of the figures and the difference between the 2 modems confirms that - specifically on the attenuation figures. If you are not as close to the exchange as might have appeared from the first modem, then your slower speed than might be expected may be solely due to the high Target SNRM.
I think the only way to resolve is is to try and borrow a third known good modem/router and see which of the results that compares to, and if necessary proceed to sort out your SNRM issue. If you haven't got another or can't borrow one (from a friend perhaps), PN can probably arrange a loan one for you.

I appreciate the help, but am starting to wonder where this is going.  Sadly, I do not have access to a third modem (nor a fourth, fifth, sixth or seventh), only the two from different manufactures, both of which used to give higher speeds in the past, as far as I recall.  I have no reason to suspect either or both are both faulty.  (I bought the second because the first did not have wireless and needed a separate router, not because the first was broken.).
Anotherone
Champion

Because the figures are inconsistent, you don't know which, if either, is accurate (apart from the sync speed).
As I said, PN can arrange a loan one for you. However, if we can get reliable information another way - can you check in your "My Questions" section at the member centre and see if Mand Beckett has put some test results on a ticket. If so could you post them here - that'll be results containing speed, attenuation, noise margin, FTR, max stable rate etc.
The reason is that as the figures so far are inconsistent, if I recommend a particular course of action it may be completely unnecessary. With accurate/consistent figures, I can give you a much more sensible opinion.
fp
Grafter

Nothing in My Questions - just billing related information over the last several months.
Thanks for persevering.
Mand
Grafter

I'll run the tests again tomorrow and stick the results on your account and here.
Anotherone
Champion

Any results Mand?
fp
Grafter

There is nothing posted yet in My Questions.
fp
Grafter

Still not seen any speed test data.  Is this 'discussion' now over? 
fp
Grafter

Quote from: Mand
I'll run the tests again tomorrow and stick the results on your account and here.

I have not noticed any results yet.
Anotherone
Champion

Looks as though PN comms are too busy to be bothered despite  two reminder PM's to two of the team.
I'll post my suggestions later on this evening if that's OK.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

That's a little harsh Chris, I appreciate that Mand hasn't responded when she said she would, but saying we're not bothered isn't really on.
Which results was Mand going to post?
If so could you post them here - that'll be results containing speed, attenuation, noise margin, FTR, max stable rate etc.

Was it just these? If so I'll go run the report now and put them on a ticket straight away.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Chris,
It's pretty obvious that the Comms team is struggling to keep up to date with the forums in the same way that James did (I acknowledge that it improved considerably last week following our comments).
I think Chris (Anotherone) would have been totally justified in saying "It looks like the managers of the Comms team care so little about the forums and the users who post there that they are not prepared to allocate the necessary resources".
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
fp
Grafter

Quote from: Mand

Still waiting.  Not sure what happens next or the purpose of the test.  Do I just give up?
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Happy Xmas, its a non working day, as is tomorrow