cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Web Filtering on a Thompson Router

Boultons

Web Filtering on a Thompson Router

I have noticed that when I put a filter onsites on the router i have problems with the router locink up( so have to re-boot). Also IE runs slow. I only notiiced this since we were having problems with our old router and sent a new on ( no site filter for a week) all ok then put 3 sites on to filter and the same problems happen again. WHY??????
15 REPLIES 15
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: Web Filtering on a Thompson Router

It sounds like it could be an issue that's generic to that particular router. I can see you have a Thomson router, could you confirm which one please? Also have you tried factory resetting the router then adding the sites to the filter again?
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Boultons

Yes the router is a Thomson, it is a TG585 V8
No I have not tried the factory re-set (do you mean the button on the back?)
But will do and re-enter sites 1 at a time.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Boultons,
Has that helped? Hoping so (and yes the factory reset is the button on the back Smiley ) - please let us know if it hasn't and we'll see if there's anything further we can do.
Boultons

Hi Matt
I have reset the router and there is no change. I have noticed that when I check the box (Use address base filter) the speed on my PC goes down to about 4MBS when it is not checked it is about 13MBS. I have attached the window for you to look at.
Bob
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Boultons,
We've just tried replicating this but the speed doesn't change when we check the box. Have you tried it again since?
Jojo Smiley
Boultons

Hi
Just tried it again now 13/2/12 @13:57pm unchecked Down speed 11.31 M b/s Up 0.258M b/s
Box checked Down 4.22 M b/s Up 0.156
Then straight away un-check box Down 11.59 M b/s Up 0.365 M b/s
What is the next stage?
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Are the speed tests wired or wireless?
Boultons

The speeds were tested on a wired connection.
Bob
mattturner
Grafter

Quote from: Boultons
The speeds were tested on a wired connection.

Hi Bob,
I'll be honest and say that I've not seen this problem before. Just a couple of things to help us out so we can try and replicate it.
Have you tried restarting the router by powering it off and on again?
Can you confirm if you've got any rules defined for web filtering? Your screenshot seemed to indicate that there were none.
Thanks,
Matt Turner
Boultons

Hi Matt
Yes we have rebotted many times when we put the filter on as this was the only way of unlocking it. Yes you are correct in saying that we have nothing set from the attchment that I sent as this is the oly way the router will work without ay problems.  It is a bit stange that in why have parental control on the router when they don't work, we have tried 2 routers now and both have the same problem. So it is not a problem with the router it looks like it is the softwar inside the router that is the problem. Can you get onto the people who devolped it and see what they say please. If you look back at the attchment I sent, when you check the box to filter even without entering any sites you get the problems.
Hope this helps you and you get the same results as we are having as all that plusnet team have said is for us to buy a router ourselves. This is just like putting your head in the sand and hoping it will go away!!!!!
Bob
Boultons

If Matt is not avaliable can someone else look at this post please
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

This is just like putting your head in the sand and hoping it will go away!!!!!

I'm sure you were advised that as a way of getting around the issue, we're definitely not ignoring it. Matt isn't around at the moment but I'm concerned that you've had this with two routers now. I'm going to see if I an test this one an equivalent router here.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Boultons

THe problem from what I can make out is with the type of router as from your other advisers they have not come accross this before as proberly the function has not been used as a lot of people don't know it is there and also what it is for. That is the reason we have had problems with both of the routers, Can you also look into the Netgear router you have to offer to your customers, and do a parental control test on that as well please to see if you get any problems with it.
Thanks
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

I'll let you know how I get on, I'm not sure I need to test the Netgear router as we've not heard of any similar issues with that, also we only provide that for fibre customers in case you were considering asking us for one of those as an alternative. If you are seeking an alternative router we can provide a Technicolor TN582.
Adam
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team