Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Very slow sync after line fixed

FIXED
racingclub21
Hooked

Very slow sync after line fixed

After my line was physically fixed, I've had super low sync speeds - 288k down!

This hasnt changed for a least 2-3 weeks.

Can someone in Plusnet 'reset my SNR target' ? Prior to the fault, I was syncing with a stable connection around 5mb.

Attached shows my very high SNR Smiley

8 REPLIES 8
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

Re: Very slow sync after line fixed

@racingclub21 Your horrendous D/S SNR indicates clearly that the problem isn't fixed. I would submit another fault report.

John
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

That attainable rate is rather pessimistic too!

Broadband is not going to work well if the "phone" line is not working properly.

Please perform a quiet line test - dial 17070 select option 2 using a corded phone plugged into the test socket behind the face plate of the master socket. It should be silent. A noisy phone line (or no dial tone) will have a marked adverse impact on the performance of broadband.

If the line is noisy or there is no dial tone, then a PHONE LINE fault needs to be raised with your phone provider. If this is PlusNet, you can report a fault on line using the button below.  From the Q&A list, choose the one which matches the problem, 'open' the 'section' and click the trouble-shooter link.  NB: If you receive a failure message (rather than a log-in prompt) then log-in to the user portal in a different browser tab and attempt to use the trouble-shooter again.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Fix

The high SNR target/margin and slow sync speed of 288k are hand in hand. 

As line tests aren't showing any issues and things are stable now, I've reset your line.

Could you retest your speed and let me know how it goes?

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
racingclub21
Hooked

thank you Gandalf - its looking happier at the moment.

I thought I was heavily banded, rather than any physical problem.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Awesome, that's good to see.

Yup, a sync speed at 288k or 576k is more often than not what's known as "chronic banding" and can only be removed manually as DLM won't automatically lift this like it will do for the higher bandings. This is a good guide about bandings > https://community.plus.net/t5/Library/Broadband-Faults-Guide-Banding-Guide/ba-p/1322790

Let me know if you need any further help Smiley

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Those SNRM figures are still a little elevated. Is the router messing with this metrics … or are you suffering from line noise?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

racingclub21
Hooked

I dont have any SNR tweaks applied, so the router shouldn't be interfering.

The phone seems pretty normal to me, although I've forgotten what a POTS line sounds like these days.

I assumed the SNR would be 'adapted' back to normal at some point, as its just been reset.

I'm not hung up on outright speed as I would have done previously, as the ADSL line is now relegated to a hot failover for any blips in my Starlink. Low latency & uptime is good Smiley

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Reset SNRM should be 6dB. Variations suggest the presence of electrical interference to some extent or other. During the hours of darkness European AM radio can give rise to 1.5dB (or so) variation.

If the last sync was during the hours of darkness the SNRM might rise above 6dB during the day. If during the day, the SNRM might fall below 6dB during the evening.

If resync was during the day and the SNRM is seen to be higher than 6dB during the day, that suggests that there was noise present at the time of the resync. The big question then is, did that noise cause the sync to drop?

Have that happen often enough and the DLM will jack up the target SNRM again. Keep a watching eye on the stats.