Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Very slow WiFi speed

Smoggydan
Dabbler
Fixes: 1

Very slow WiFi speed

Hi guys once again over the last few weeks my speed has dropped below the stated 26-29mbps however today hit a new low of 0.7mbps download then after resetting my router, which normally fixes the speed issue, only went to 7.5mbps according to the BT broadband speed check available on the plusnet site. Is there an update required again as that fixed it last time or is there anything else that can be done to reliably achieve the expected speeds?
Thanks for your help
20 REPLIES 20
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

Re: Very slow WiFi speed

@Smoggydan To be honest, I think the issue is a little more complicated - which router do have? This actually sounds more likw an Openreach network issue than something to do with your kit.

John
Smoggydan
Dabbler

Hi John thanks for your reply
The router is the sagemcom plusnet hub one. I'm not sure what's going on with it somedays it's running in the 30s someday it's almost 0. It's very annoying after trying everything I know, which isn't a lot really, to get the speed up to just get nowhere. There doesn't seem to be any issues with open reach in my area from what I can see. I'm stumped so thought I'd try here seeif there's anything else to try
jab1
Legend

OK - can you please follow the below 'help'. This will give other Community members and myself something to work with.

For Community members to be able to help, information from these two sites, as screenshots, posted as pictures within the topic, not as attachments:-

BT Broadband(obscuring your phone number) and BTW Performance Tester - Over a wired (Ethernet) connection if at all possible, please report the 'ADDITIONAL DIAGNOSTICS', and sight of the broadband connection status from your Hub (with the 'Username' obscured) would be a good starting point.

For the Hub One -

Navigate from the Home Screen to Troubleshooting > Helpdesk

For the Hub Two -

Navigate from the Home Screen to Advanced Settings > Technical Log > Information

It may also be a good idea to report the results of a Quiet Line Test - dial 17070 option 2 from a (preferably corded) phone. After the confirmation of your phone number, there should be total silence apart from the regular 'Quiet Line Test' announcement. Any other noise - report a PHONE fault first.

If you are unsure about any of the above, please just ask - I am happy to help.

John
Mr_Paul
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 11

@Smoggydan 

Can I just ask a question to carify:

Can you confirm that it is the WiFi that you are saying is slow - or the broadband connection?

How are you doing these tests - with a wireless device, or one connected by ethernet cable?

jab1
Legend

@Mr_Paul If the OP supplies the data I requested, we will know what the issue is. As some people refer to Wi-Fi when they actually mean the actual  internet connection, I'd rather eliminate that first.

John
Mr_Paul
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 11

@jab1 

"As some people refer to Wi-Fi when they actually mean the actual  internet connection"

Exactly my point!

Smoggydan
Dabbler

I believe its the wifi mainly, it seems fine on everything that's wired apart from the odd occasion where prime starts buffering
Smoggydan
Dabbler

How do I add screen shots? I can only see file attachments info or add photos to my file, which I have done.
Thanks
jab1
Legend

If you are using a desktop/laptop, in the icons above the  reply window, click the one to the right of the 'smiley' one, and follow the prompts. If you could do that, please, it would make them much easier to see/follow.

EDIT - can't see anything in your profile.

John
jab1
Legend

@Smoggydan wrote:
I believe its the wifi mainly, it seems fine on everything that's wired apart from the odd occasion where prime starts buffering

That does not make sense, given your original post - but the data I have requested will point us in the correct direction.

John
Smoggydan
Dabbler

Screenshot_20230317_192102_Chrome.jpg

Smoggydan
Dabbler

Screenshot_20230317_192110_Chrome.jpg

Smoggydan