cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VDSL routers for FTTC?

MrTAToad
Grafter

Re: VDSL routers for FTTC?

I've decided to send the Zxyel back - first off, it couldn't handle my original PlusNet password, and then every 48 hours or so, it just locked up.  When it did it the last time, it managed to restore the original password (the troublesome one) instead of the one I was actually using...
I'll be going for a Billion BiPAC 8800NL Dual-WAN ADSL2+/VDSL2 Fibre Wireless-N Router (300Mbps), which will be out in a week's time.  Hopefully this won't give me any trouble.
MrTAToad
Grafter

Quote from: kitz
I just get an orange DSL line light

Orange indicates a VDSL sync.  Its only green for ADSL1/2/2+
Some units in the UK are being shipped  with firmware that needs updating to be able to connect to VDSL.   Although Zyxel support were good with me and immediately issued new firmware which resolved by problem, some users are being told there isnt an update.  Ive therefore made a list of the available firmwares  http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php?topic=13930.0 ;  
Step by step details: How to set up the VMG8324-B10A for VDSL
Also if your running windows and previously used a separate modem and router, Windows 7.1 seems to get confused and reports 'no network' when in fact there is.
I got around it by making another network connection - 'Network1' is for using a separate router and modem.  'Network 2' is for combined router/modem unit.
Running the network troubleshooting should also fix it.    I believe you are connected though now Wink

Thanks for that - I was sort of connected... Until it decided to start being problematic.
coldfox
Dabbler

Quote from: AndyH
Quote from: coldfox
The asus dsl ac66u doesn't actually have the built in vdsl modem like the asus dsl n66u.

The DSL-AC66U has the same modem chipset as the DSL-N66U.

I don't think its even out.
chrcoluk
Grafter

Quote from: kitz
Quote from: chrcoluk
kitz can it be used as a modem only?

TBH Im not sure, its not something Ive tried, but since it has bridge mode then I dont see why not.

The full (and rather long) user manual is here

thanks.
toolateforaname
Grafter

I've had to give up on using the fritzbox as a dsl router - I'm using it now with the BT dsl modem.
They're great devices but it seems that on my line it is having lots of sync problems. 
I like having the dect and answer phone etc all in one, but the connection is a problem.
MrTAToad
Grafter

Now have the 8800NL and I must say it's everything the Zxyel should have been - setup was quick, and just required a few initial settings and it's up and running.
The router interface isn't as fancy as the Zxyel, but, it is very fast.
It is also cheaper than the Zxyel too.
The instruction manuals are the usual small type, with smallish print.  You also get the customary CD and cables.
kitz
Aspiring Pro

Glad you got sorted, although its a shame you had config issues. 
Zyxel need to get their act together and ship with firmware that works out of the box for VDSL2 setup.
>> Now have the 8800NL and I must say it's everything the Zxyel should have been
The 8800NL isnt GbE which is why I always discounted it.  GbE ranked very highly on my must haves.
>> The instruction manuals are the usual small type, with smallish print.  You also get the customary CD and cables.
Where did you purchase from?  I got CD with full pdf manual.  The box also contained all cables, and a smallish quickstart leaflet guide.  (broadbandbuyer)
MrTAToad
Grafter

I got mine from Broadbandbuyer too!  The 8800 has one 1Gb port - shame the others aren't, but for me a decent Wifi is more important - and it is.  In addition, unlike the Zxyel, I didn't have to downgrade to using b/g mixed mode in order to get the Android devices working.
Also got to try and get a refund from them with regards the previous router - unfortunately they mistaking cancelled the RMA whilst it was in transit (didn't read all my emails), and they don't seem to be replying any more...
kitz
Aspiring Pro

Ring them up.   Theres a phone no some-where on the site.
I rang them up as soon as I realised there was a problem with the firmware and they gave me some time to decide whether I was going to work with Zyxel to get the new f/w and install it.  They were quite good with me and I kept them informed and updated of my progress.
However since I got & installed  the new f/w Ive been very happy with it, and not seen any of the issues that you had trying to open the GUI so Im not sure what the problem is there other than its not liking your Win8 machine. (im still win7)
Good luck... I really hope that you get it sorted.
---
ETA  I have way more problems trying to make posts to this forum than accessing my router.
WTH do these forums constantly bomb out on me - no its not router related it did it on my HG612/TG582n too.  Does someone need to run the cleanup database or what?
MrTAToad
Grafter

Yes, I'll probably have to ring 'em soon.
MrTAToad
Grafter

Got a bit worried when they said they couldn't find it, but a quick email with the posting details soon sorted that out!
Just waiting for them to finish "testing" the device now...