Did you mean: 

VDSL routers for FTTC?

kevinduke
Grafter

Re: VDSL routers for FTTC?

I have tried:
Draytek 2760n  - Download sync was the same but lost 6 Mbps on upload
Fritzbox 7490 - Lost 10 Mbps on download sync and 6 Mbps on upload sync
Back with the BT modem and net gear router now as it is the only configuration that gives me the full sync.
rwaller
Grafter

Quote from: toolateforaname
Thats irritating - I cant edit the first post anymore  Sad
I was thinking tht it would be handy to have a list and then fill in features and details of any specific set up needs...
I understand that there are :
Routerconfirmed working on plusnet FTTC
Asus DSL-N66UY
Asus DSL-AC68U
BT HH5
Billion 8200
Cisco 887VA ISR
Draytek 2760
Draytek 2860
Fritxbox 7490
Fritzbox 7390
Technicolor TG589Y
Technicolor TG672
ZyXel VMG8324B10AY

I can confirm that the AVM Fritz! 7390 definitely works on PN and is one of the best routers on the market, probably exceeded by the 7490 which is newer an an ac model, but they are not cheap although the price of the 7390 might now start to go down, they both support IP v6 and vectoring.
30FTTC06
Pro
Fixes: 4

@kevinduke,
I see that you are trashing 2 routers, Is this just your own opinion?
Quote from: kevinduke
I have tried:
Draytek 2760n  - Download sync was the same but lost 6 Mbps on upload
Fritzbox 7490 - Lost 10 Mbps on download sync and 6 Mbps on upload sync
Back with the BT modem and net gear router now as it is the only configuration that gives me the full sync.
kevinduke
Grafter

@11110_110
I wouldn't say trashing 2 routers, I can only go by what they were like connected to my line.
I had high hopes for the 7490 but wasn't to be.
npr
Pro
Fixes: 9

I can confirm the TG672 works well on Plusnet fibre. I get the same or slightly better throughput than with the BT modem / TG582n router combination.
Having said that, my line is very poor so speeds above 22mbps are a complete mystery to me.
30FTTC06
Pro

@kevinduke,
Ok many thanks, I just wouldn't want to dismiss them out of hand without hearing a few more points on view on those routers seeing as i am looking for an all in one solution myself.
Just for reference, what speeds are we talking about?
kevinduke
Grafter

@11110-110
With my current setup (Openreach modem and netgear router)  I sync at about 53000 down and 20000 Mbps up but with the
7490 I sync at 41829 down and 14226 Up.
With the draytek it was about 53400 down and 13000 up.
I am still on the look out my self and would go back to one of these 2 if the sync can be improved.
Sometimes though I think is it better to have separate boxes so if you need to change things on the router you can reboot without worrying about DLM.
All the reviews I found for the 7490 had people syncing at the full line speed (79999 an 19999).
AndyH
Grafter

Unless the 7490 has a fault or firmware bug, I can't believe it would sync 20% lower than other modem/routers.
kevinduke
Grafter

@AndyH
AVM Support couldn't understand why it was low either.
I didn't want to mess about to much at the risk of upsetting the dlm but I may try and order another in a month or so and see if things improve.
w23
Pro

My Fritz!Box 7390 syncs slightly lower than the BT (Huawei) modem.
When I first changed the downstream sync drop was significant (from about 65 to about 59) but after a few firmware updates it's now at 63.  My upstream sync has always been 20Mbit/s
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Haybasha
Rising Star

As I'm new to PlusNet after jumping ship from BT Infinity I thought I'd add my current favourite:-
ZyXEL SBG3300-N
Also confirmed as working perfectly with PlusNet at a better sync rate than the BT HH5 (which is rubbish and keeps dropping the line) and it works with DSLStats.
As for some of the others I never got the DSL-N66U working stable even after months of trying beta firmware (1.0.7.0a which is not available yet) with Asus support so had to take it back.
I also tried the Draytek 2750n on BT Infinity and it connected much slower so got rid of that too.
chrcoluk
Grafter

some points to consider before diving into this.
I suggest any device you pick to contact the vendor and ask them if they prepared to support any possible future vectoring rolled out by openreach, otherwise your modem may get forcefully disconnected after vectoring is rolled out as it will interfere with other lines.
A seperate modem/router allows you to fiddle with the router without risk of upsetting DLM.
A seperate modem/router rallows you to e.g. have a modem close to the phone socket as is reccomended but have the router closer to your devices, best of both worlds.
The hg612 openreach supplied modem is actually quite good at what it does.  Better than most if not all 3rd party modems on the market.
chrcoluk
Grafter

Quote from: AndyH
Unless the 7490 has a fault or firmware bug, I can't believe it would sync 20% lower than other modem/routers.

believe it Smiley
my fritzbox 3370 syncs about 14 mbit lower than my hg612 when interleaving is enable.  Which amounts to about 20%.  This is even tho the 3370 matches the chipset in my ECI cabinet.  Although for some reason they much closer on fast path, only about 4mbit difference.
toolateforaname
Grafter

I've gone with the Fritzbox 7390.
Initial impressions are great - lots of features and a nice interface.
I think also confirmed that my initial problems were down to the plusnet router because since installing the fritzbox I've not had any of the problems I was getting with web access failing and 'connection to website reset' messages.
I am having a few issues over the speed of the connection, but I've raised a fault query and I'll see how that goes.  May be down to the annex selected.  The fritzbox has annex A on by default but I wasn't getting the speed I used to.  I'm now trying annex B.
w23
Pro

I don't think the Annex setting makes any difference on VDSL but B is technically correct.
Are you on the latest firmware?
What chipset is is in your cabinet?  Internet > DSL Information gives the data at the right hand side under the heading 'DSL Central Exchange'
What sync speeds are you getting?
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.