cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Usage Monitor Gone Mad

scootie
Grafter

Re: Usage Monitor Gone Mad

thought i would add to this post as my usage for today is not showing. so unlike this chap im better off and dont need action on it straight away.
Its not that my usage is not completely showing as in internet activites its showing up but on the usage pages im still at 0kb.
it is the first day of the month for my usage so did not think it was strange when i saw the 0kb but when i looked at internet activites it shows my usage.
any ideas whats going on PN?
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Is there a closed ticket on your account saying your usage has been reset yet? I suspect that as today is the first day of your new billing period your usage may not start to appear until that happens.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
tywyn
Grafter

At the moment the usage hasn't been reset and I'm getting emails every couple of hours stating that an extra 1GB has been bought at £1 per GB. I'll get the money back but hopefully it will be sorted out tomorrow. Currently showing 23.59GB for 22/10 and rising. The VMBU is borked.
Account username: tywyn
Please be aware you have exceeded your included monthly data transfer of
22GB  - there is no need to worry.
An extra 1GB of data transfer has been automatically added to your account
for this month at a charge of £1.00.
If you use up this extra 1GB before the end of the month, another 1GB will
be added at the same cost of £1.00. And so on, until the end of the month.
If 22GB is unrealistic for your monthly usage, please consider increasing
your included monthly data transfer:
scootie
Grafter

sorry for hijaking your post tywyn.
if you was asking the reset question to me jelv then yes i did get a ticket that was at 4.13am today saying usage was reset.
but my problem is probally due to this service status http://usertools.plus.net/status/archive/1225403403.htm just thought its strange i can see what % of traffic by type ive used today but not the usage on the days of the week summary.
hope your strange usage ghost is sorted soon tywyn
paymaster

Someone else has the same problem I have! I was beginning to think I was going mad.
I had usage on 23/10 of 16.19Gb (well that's what it's reading now). This is two months' usage for me, and took me over my limit of 15gb.
It started off as a mere (!!) 11gb, and has been rising ever since. It's a really weird one to try to explain... I've had real trouble trying to convince the support staff I'm not a huge p2p sharer, or have an unsafe wireless network which allows huge p2p sharers to share stuff, and that the usage is actually rising.
I'm on fixed rate, so have got really really slow internet.... should I just take it off that and let the pounds rack up, in the hope that plus.net will pay me back? I was annoyed at missing out on the internet to watch the US election results last night. Anyway, the support staff seem on top of the issue now. Hopefully plus.net will get back to their normal commendable service, because this has been a farce!
tywyn
Grafter

You should ask them to take the restrictions off your account until the end of the billing period and then you'll get your service back to normal. My usage for 22/10 has been at 25.94GB since Monday. It may have something to do with Football Manager Live as I noticed at the weekend if I was logged into the game my usage for 22/10 would continue rising. The FML server has been down since Monday and the usage has stopped increasing, but the server will be back up tonight or tomorrow so it will be interesting to see if the usage for 22/10 will rise again when I'm logged in, although I've not heard of any other Beta testers having the same issue. The game uses very little bandwidth approx 1MB every 12 mins.
Initially I also had a hard time convincing PN that the fault was with their system, but eventually they acknowledged that the problem was theirs.
scootie
Grafter

ive got a ticket open about my problems with the vmbu at the mo. And ive bein posting on this guys theard who has the same problem as you tywyn http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,70161.0.html.
ive had a reply from pn staff on the other theard. saying they had looked at my account and it was showing i was not connected to the net between the 2nd and 4th. which is wrong as i am on 24/7.
i dont think the data usage increase is the football manager server theroy you came up with.  but if the vmbu problems was all data increase on a past date then your theroy would be a good one.
James
Grafter

Hiya,
You're definitely online as I can traceroute to your IP Address that you're posting from in here.
Can you try rebooting and see if the issues continue to present themselves?
tywyn
Grafter

I'm glad I'm not the only one Asbo, I've posted in the other thread and my usage for 22/10 has just jumped another 2GB to 27.4GB
scootie
Grafter

At the momment my usage is recording o.k from some point on the 4th. all usage for 2nd 3rd is still at 0kb. jamesh your systems must of started logging my usage at some time on the 4th as my usage is low on the 4th compared to what the very least data usage i know ive used on that day.
so hopefully if my account on your systems is showing me as being connected all will be o.k now.
i will wait to see what the reply to my ticket is when they have fhinshed investagting the vmbu problems.
unless you want me to do a reboot of router (if possable i would rather just disconect internet on the router than do a resync as im on a long line.)  to see if the systems you use still see me as connected when ive dis/reconnected?
edit: even thoe my usage was showing as nothing and normally i would of kepted quite and youtube my little heart out but had seein your post a day or 2 before my billing date then saw the 0kb usage and thought at some point of the month it will be in the gb's instead of 0kb like your self. so reported it so i would be in a good postion for refund if the ghost of usage past visted me.
techguy
Grafter

Been watching this thread with interest and it leads me to one question, at what points on the network is data transfer metered?
On the edge routers and the Arbor Ellacoya traffic management appliances or just the Ellacoyas?
I'm assuming that the edge routers are capable of metering provided that they are configured as session aware by means of them authenicating the sessions on a service module or being passed authentication data from elsewhere?
zubel
Community Veteran

I believe the Junipers that handle the Centrals are the main place where the traffic management is applied (as the Centrals are the main choke point on the network) although I would assume that all of the routers on the network are QoS aware and will schedule traffic based on the Diffserv bit set in the TCP packet in times of congestion.
The Ellacoyas sit "the other side" of the Junipers from the customer, and are responsible for inspecting a packet (or stream) and setting the Diffserv bit accordingly. 
This results in (and this is an educated guess) any outgoing packets being tagged by the Ellacoyas and then transmitted across the PN network to the peering point, whereby other QoS aware routers *might* take some notice of the Diffserv bit.  Inbound (return) traffic wouldn't be tagged until it got back to the Ellacoyas, at which point the packet is handed off to the Junipers to make the decision on whether to transmit down the central, or to drop it based upon traffic loading.
The PN Network has plenty of capacity to handle the traffic from all the centrals - the tagging really is used to make the decision whether to send the packet down the central or not.
This would lead me to the logical assumption that the traffic is metered at the Junipers.  However, I actually know that's not correct Smiley
The metering information is actually provided by BT every (15?) minutes.  This information is recorded (I would assume) by the BT ATM network, and is transmitted to PN frequently.
The VMBU usage is in two parts - the actual metered amount of information is provided by BT.  The traffic-type breakdown is provided from the Ellacoyas/Junipers.  The figures will often not match down to the byte, but are very very close in practice.
B.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

We've now got a P1 on usage/RADIUS reporting problems. Service status on the way.
http://www.plus.net/support/service/problems/problem.php?intProblemId=53912
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
techguy
Grafter

Thanks Barry
Just out of interest really, have checked my usage and it is where I would expect.
scootie
Grafter

quick update on my usage problem.
had to download cod4 map pack again which i did b4 and after midnight the pack was over 400mb. yet usage on the vmbu for paid on the 5th is 55.46mb and free usage for 6th is 296.09.
so the usage dosent even total up to the size of the map pack yet alone the web surfing and 3 hours of XBL i did as well.
Glad to see theres a P1 on this now.