cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upload issues

ragingpolo
Hooked

Upload issues

Anyone else lose all download capabilities when they are uploading anything?

At the moment, I have about 0.38 Mbps upload speed and on average about 15 Mbps download speed. As soon as I or anyone else in the house attempts to upload anything then my download speed drops and it's nigh on impossible to receive any incoming traffic... 

Also suppose, my house was missed out in the fibre upgrade in my town even though it's closer to the town centre than others that do have fibre - it'd be great if I could have my internet upgraded... 

6 REPLIES 6
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

Re: Upload issues

@ragingpolo  downloading still requires a small amount of upstream bandwidth for data acknowledgement.

How well these acknowledgements are prioritised when the upstream bandwidth is being used to upload depends on individual routers. Assuming you are using the standard Plusnet hub zero(2704n) then that doesn't handle this situation  well at all! It suffers badly from what's called 'buffer bloat' which results in exactly the situation you are seeing when uploading.

As regards fibre availability , if you are close to the exchange it may be you are on what's called an ' exchange only' line. This gos directly to the exchange and not through a cabinet, hence fttc may not be available. BT do sometimes reroute EO lines though..

What does the dslchecker https://www.dslchecker.bt.com/ say for your phone number ( redact your number if you post the results as this is a public forum )

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

ragingpolo
Hooked

Thanks @MisterW, that's really helpful to understand how it works. 

Do you think I can request a new/better hub or would it just be better to buy a new one myself?

Fibre availability-wise, I am Exchange only unfortunately - I'm ~1000ft from the exchange and 50ft from the nearest cabinet which is fibre enabled. For a reroute of my line, is there a process to follow?

dslcheck provides the attached

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

@ragingpolo  I'm afraid that's the only router that PN supply for adsl. 

Probably better to source your own, this thread https://community.plus.net/t5/ADSL-Broadband/Best-Router-for-fixing-buffer-bloat-with-uploads-killin... might be a good place to start

Looking at your DSL checker results I'm not sure your upstream has been uncapped, I would have expected much closer to 1Mb given your downstream speed. If one of the PN  help team see this thread can they check please ?

As to rerouting, im not sure theres any process for you to follow , it's mainly at the whim of BT openreach when/if they reroute EO lines

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

ragingpolo
Hooked

@MisterW okay, no worries, I'll have a look for one of those. 

Hopefully the PN help team will see this thread! 

I might see if I can get hold of someone at BT Openreach...

RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 75

Hi @ragingpolo and @MisterW

It's worth noting that the upload capacity of an ADSL2 line generally maxes out at around 2.5mb/s as detailed here. The line isn't capped, but the upload strand is only in sync at around 700kb/s which obviously won't help connection speeds in general - sadly, apart from recommending the test socket, there's little we can do to increase this as the upload is limited by the capability of the line.

Thanks

Dave

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

It's worth noting that the upload capacity of an ADSL2 line generally maxes out at around 2.5mb/s as detailed here.

Annex M may go up to that, but generally ADSL2+ services are around 1 - 1.2Mb/s upload speed.

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.