cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Turn a extension socket into a master socket.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Turn a extension socket into a master socket.

ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Quote from: JamieDanjoux
... but I do have experience installing cables etc...

Which you want to go to great pains to avoid using?!? 
Telephone cable has six wires of which two are actually used.
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Quote from: purleigh
It looks like you have an answer -  http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/fibre/4214245-turning-an-extension-socket-into-a-fibre-socket.html#...

I started a new post, As I knew think bb have more experienced users than Plusnet!! Rather than people saying don't move it, Create W.A.P get homeplugs.
J
Ex Plusnet Fibre customer. Sky Ultrafast (G.Fast) Customer using a Sky Hub 4.2. If you wish to say thanks, please click the thumbs up Thumbs_Up
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

There's a right way and a wrong way. As an electrician you must surely know that.  Cry
In this case, as most, the right way will give better results too.  Cool
But you seem to think breaking the rules is fine - not a good recommendation for an electrician.  Lips_are_sealed
PS No-one mentioned Homeplugs here.  Wink
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Quote from: purleigh
It looks like you have an answer -  http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/fibre/4214245-turning-an-extension-socket-into-a-fibre-socket.html#...

I started a new post, As I knew think bb have more experienced users than Plusnet!!

What a cheek.
And there would have been a slightly simpler way to do it without reaping the wrath of BT if they need to attend to the connection which would also allow it to be simply put back if needed. But clearly these expert electricians know that they know it all and who knows it as well. So he'd better go back to TBB for the simpler solution.
HPsauce
Pro

David_W
Rising Star

Let's look at this from a logical point of view.  You've been informed that messing around with the wires behind the master socket is illegal, that is property which belongs to BT.  You have no experience with telephone installations (and yes, sparkies should stay away from telephones, in my new build flat they connected the wires to my extension cables incorrectly so I had to fix it) so the odds are quite high that something is going to go wrong.  Worst case scenario you lose voice and data, so what would you need to do?  You'll need to contact your phone provider (which, if it is Plusnet knows you've been messing with the master socket) who will need to send out an engineer.
Usually if the fault is caused by problems behind the master socket (BT's equipment) there is no call out charge applied, you attempting to move the master socket means the fault is caused by you, so you will be hit with the full call out charge by BT (assuming the BT engineer doesn't disconnect you there and then whilst he reports to his supervisor), so the logical solution here to save you from breaking the law and most likely being hit with a huge call out fee and possible prosecution is to get BT to come around and fix it for you!
Rich
Grafter

Quote from: ReedRichards
... but I do have experience installing cables etc...

Which you want to go to great pains to avoid using?!? 
Telephone cable has six wires of which two are actually used.

Just use a bit of 1mm T+E.  Ignore the earth wire - snip it out at both ends if you like.  If it's good for 240V, it must be safe! 
Oh, you might have a little trouble getting the T+E  to fit, but a hammer and small screwdriver will fix that Roll_eyes
Anonymous
Not applicable

My wifi keeps dropping in my bedroom, so it would be ideal to move modem and router upstairs. I am not bothered about my speeds.

As 'JamieDanjoux' is not bothered about speeds, what is this then ? - http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,112521.0/topicseen.html
Must be that new "1mm T+E" extension cable  Roll_eyes
recycledteenage
Dabbler

Quote from: Oldjim

You could have asked for it to have been moved when you had it installed

Even though I ordered an extension cable my engineer told me this morning the extension cables aren't carried.  Fortunately my old cable is suitable.
He was a sub contractor to a sub contractor (Quinns) to Openreach.
--
John the R-T
http://ccgi.john-the-r-t.co.uk// Cruise and Family site.
http://www.john-the-r-t.co.uk/weather/
Anotherone
Champion

Well I'm sure Plusnet will feed that back, because that it not acceptable, they ought to be using proper Data extension cable which is a slightly higher standard than CW1308.
CX
Grafter

Hard-wire the extension into the unfiltered terminals on the SSFP. You don't have to touch the master socket itself at all. This is assuming that you can get suitable cable to the back of the master socket (if you have nailed on conduit, it's probably going to be too tight to pull anything through).
nanotm
Pro

since you have a standard nte5 box on the outside of your house you can buy some data grade cable, open the box and (i'd personally take a photo at this point), unplug the current wireing and connect up your own wires, you will need ot buy a ringer socket (sometimes they say master socket) and an aditional vdsl socket (various hardware storesused ot sell them both but its a few years since i last looked) bt wont do or say anything about you accessing the nte5 box as everything after it is legally your responsibility anyway, if you mess it up just revert back ot the old wires,
if your really clever you can even get a junction box (one meant to be used outdoors) and connect a fly lead from the nte5 box to it then link in the existing wires and your new wires so your able to connect at either point with your modem (you might need to get a blanking plug for the unused connnection point)
if your just wanting ot remote your connection from its existing point to another point you could also use the pin out point on the master socket, (its the bit with all the screws) this turns your bt phone point into a junction box but unless the phone socket you attach to the other end has the master ringer circuit fitted your phone wont ring, of course you'll still have to buy secondary set of sockets either way unless your desperate to break all the rules ......
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Anotherone
Champion

nanotm, I explained earlier in another thread that is NOT an external NTE, he cannot touch it, is that clear enough,
apart from which external NTEs aren't used with Fibre.
And because you haven't got it right, you could encourage others to tamper with things they shouldn't, which not only could land them with a hefty bill from Openreach, they have the power and right to disconnect you.
Please check you facts before making such comments in future.
In this particular case the OP doesn't need to do anything as complicated as suggested by you, or over on TBB
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

Quote from: recycledteenager
Even though I ordered an extension cable my engineer told me this morning the extension cables aren't carried.  Fortunately my old cable is suitable.
He was a sub contractor to a sub contractor (Quinns) to Openreach.

Hi there, that certainly shouldn't be the case, is everything working OK and how you wished the setup to be?
I'll make sure that we feedback to the appropriate areas with this.