cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Training Period Reset

exporters
Grafter

Training Period Reset

What are the pros/cons of a training period reset,please?
Assuming that my long ongoing line problems have been fixed by BT, after noise & disconnections, is it better to let the download speed creep back up [present @ 120kbps with IP135] or request a reset?
Many thanks
15 REPLIES 15
bigben
Grafter

Re: Training Period Reset

My line was reset and i now have a steady 5 meg profile,a  considerable improvement  from my old  3 meg profile .
If you have a high SNR due to the line problems then that could take a long time to come down on the automated system.
Mine went from SNR 15 to 6 and has been just as stable as before.
exporters
Grafter

Thank you BigBen - looks like I should speak to PN & request a reset.
Assumes they confirm line stability from their data.  My RouterStats shows no drop outs & a steady SRN 14, dropping to 11 in the evenings.
exporters
Grafter

Just a thought, how does one get someone from the Comms team to initiate a Reset Training Period?
198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 41

Explain the reason and ask on a ticket - worked for me.
Murphy was an optimist
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
BT technician (Retired)
exporters
Grafter

Thanks 4C - my existing open ticket is so long, it stretches from here to Sheffield.  From other's experiences, response to a ticket is a bit of a lottery.
I wonder if any of the Comms team pick this sort of thing up from the forums?
exporters
Grafter

As suggested in reply 4 by 4C, I've spoken to PN; all is steady, no drops & their advice is, wait & everything should start to improve significantly over next 72 hrs.
Doing a 'restart & training period' was not felt necessary. 
Mand
Grafter

Did things improve over the 72 hour period?
If you're on standard MaxDSL resetting the training period is easy, on 21CN it's near impossible.
exporters
Grafter

Mand, thank you for follow up  enquiry.  Much appreciated.
Within 48hrs of BT engineer [the 3rd.] leaving, the IP shot up to 4500 and after four days all seems to be holding together!  Steady SNR @ 14 &  support confirms not dropping.  Support advised to wait rather than go through a reset, just to see. 
So, for my line, we are enjoying d'loads speeds on 4megs once again and delighted.  PN support, Matt & Tony have been most helpful.  Seems to me, that one requires a good bottle full of patience & perseverance [both customer & PN] with some BT lines, mine in particular.
Best wishes, Ian
exporters
Grafter

orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi exporters,
I'm taking a look at this for you now.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hmmm, very odd. It looks like you resynced at 16/03/2010 18:13:45 at a rate of 1152, which has dropped the BT profile down to 1000. I'll pass the fault back to our suppliers for more investigation for you.
exporters
Grafter

Matt, reassuring that you have this in hand.  Thank you.
The resynced @ 16/3 - 18.13 you mention, is not picked up on my RouterStats as far as I can see.  Odd? 
I see there were three drops @ about 11.00am,12.00pm,1.00pm today.  Since we were out of the house on all these occasions something must have happened elsewhere!
Ho, hum - I see  in the meantime the DSL has risen to 5344.
exporters
Grafter

"ODD" it might be but two days on & IP1000 & DL 880, with Thomson as below.
Now a week since the 3rd. BT visit & speeds improved [obviously not held]; quote then was, 'if this does not hold, it is the exchange & their wire to the road box'.  What should be but is not working at the BT exchange?
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi exporters,
Passed the fault back once more, I suspect the next step will be to arrange an engineer visit. I'll keep you posted.