cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thomson router AAAGH!!!!!

mPH
Grafter

Thomson router AAAGH!!!!!

Has anyone else had problems getting the TG585 v7 to connect wireless through Vista?
It will connect through LAN no problems, and connected my HTC without a hitch, but will it connect to Vista... oooh no!!!
I can see the network available but it will not connect.  Just says 'there is a problem'.  But what problem? thanks a lot Microsoft!  Every time I try to connect it knocks the internet off for a short time too.  I have given up trying now as I don't know what could be done differently.  Its not an internet problem as it works wired.
This is my second Thomson, the first died recently and I got that one connected somehow after 2 days of trying.  If i cant find a solution its going for a Netgear. Been looking at the DGN3500 >>> anyone have any experience with this router?
12 REPLIES 12
scootie
Grafter

Re: Thomson router AAAGH!!!!!

have you gone into the routers setup pages and tried it with no encpt on the wireless to see if you can connect then?
mPH
Grafter

Yes I had tried that and it works but I don't want to run it without encryption if I can help it.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Some one else had that problem in the last 24 hours and his Vista was set lookling for his old connect,  make sure all existing connects are switched off, including VP
scootie
Grafter

i wasnt surrgesting you to run with no encpt, just to see if it was the encpt settings that was the issue.
try what pierre has come up with by going to control panel- network and internet- network and sharing centre and then goto i think manage wireless connections
pierre_pierre
Grafter

thanks asbo, never had vista so didnt know where it is hid by M$
warbleeder
Grafter

i also have thomson modem and windows 7 both my laptop and desktop use wireless .... when i first got the modem i had alot of problems getting wireless working i also from time to time get a red light on the front where the wireless button is ..... i have no idea what thats about ... but i also dont like the modem as we cant use MAC to allow and block connections ..... wish we could configure it better althought im gonna change to a belkin so i can configure mac addresses
Toffeegerbil
Dabbler

I went away on holiday, came back a week later and my parents and sister cannot connect to the wireless.
At first I naturally blamed it on something they had done, but that wasn't the case.
It has been three weeks now, numerous calls to plusnet and I have exhausted all ideas. I have tried it with no encription (later plusnet support suggested changing the encription would fix it, but of course it didn't as i had tried it with no encription beforehand. I have tried resetting the router, removing the static IP address, using windows inbuilt trouble shooter. Trying every single combination of settings possible, changing the name and details of the wireless connection, plugging the router into the main line and removing all other connections including phones. Etc. Using an old router (didn't work at all unfortunatley).
Now of course they want to change ISP, as they can't connect to the internet.
I have no idea what steps to take.
Nothing can connect to the wireless,
A pc using windows 7, a laptop using windows xp and wii/xbox etc. So it is definatley a router problem not the connecting machines.

I am running windows 7 on this.
Ethernet is fine, only wireless will not connect.
Could someone suggest a decent router that will work with plusnet? This thomson rubbish really does not do plusnet proud.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Welcome to the forum.
My Thompson is over a year old now and still working OK.  Wireless to this Machine on Win 7, a netbook - xp sp3, a netbook on linux, A widescreen lapton on XPsp3  occasionally and an Archos on what ever that is all at the same time, and occasionally a non wireless laptop on ethernet
Wheel_nut
Grafter

MAC Address Filtering does NOT work on any of mt Thomson or Speedtouch 585 Routers. Instead of the explicit registration of MAC Addresses that most other brands use, the Thomsons have a button you have to push to allow new devices to connect. I gave up trying about 18 months ago.
FWIW, MAC Address filtering is easily spoofed so is nor really worth implementing.
Toffeegerbil
Dabbler

Ah, i have solved my problem.
it was the wireless Sky TV transmitter interfering with the wireless signal.
jamessealey
Grafter

Been a while since i've been on here, but posting as a result of troubleshooting my GFs mums Thomson 585v7 router supplied by PlusNet. I cam accross this thread whilst looking for answers so though it only fair that I post the fix I have found on here for other people.
Basically, I persueded my GFs mum to switch from BT broadband to PlusNet  Cool and along came a nice shiny new Thomson 585v7 wireless router. We got all th devices in the house up and running over wifi (XP Laptop, 7 Laptop, Iphone, HTC) except the one laptop running Vista....
Every time it connects to the wifi it never seems to get an IP address from the router, so sits there using the MS designated 'private' IP address and essentially won't communicate with the network at all. After several hours of googling, checking settings and resetting things, I tried changing the wireless encryption from WPA-PSK to WEP and it seems to have done the job.
Obviously the network is less secure now, but this house has thick walls and I think you'd have a job getting much signal outside anyway.
Two questions to PlusNet would be: Is this a known issue with the Thomson 585v7 router and Vista? AND Giving the high usage of Vista, especially amomg home users, do PlusNet not think this issue should be addressed?
James
Ex PlusNet Customer
Perpetual PlusNet Promoter
john50
Grafter

Quote from: Toffeegerbil

it was the wireless Sky TV transmitter interfering with the wireless signal.

I had exactly the same issue, when I turned the sky video sender off it all sprang back into life luckily the sky sender has 5 different channel settings so I changed to a different channel and now no problems..and actually a better telly picture upstairs  Smiley