cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Technicolor TG582n Configuration - Static IP

icewolf

Technicolor TG582n Configuration - Static IP

Hi all,
I am just looking to set up my router as I haven't had chance since I got the broadband installed. I am a bit lost when it comes to setting up some of the options though as the user interface is a little basic in places.
First off I want to be able to change the DHCP so that is assigns addresses in the 192.168.0.* range then I want to assign specific IP addresses to devices but I cannot find anywhere in the settings to do this. When I look at the devices I can see the IP they are assigned but not change them. where is this option?
Any help appreciated!
15 REPLIES 15
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Re: Technicolor TG582n Configuration - Static IP

The Overview page is shown when you navigate to particular sections. If information displayed is configurable there is usually a link to the Configure display in the top right-hand corner of the page.
If you change anything don't forget to click the Apply button.
David
icewolf

I can see the devices and the ability to configure them. however I cannot seem to change the IP address of them.
There is an option to always use the same IP address which I guess is creating a static IP but that would be only half of what I want really.
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

The way I allocate fixed IPs to devices is to set them up on the devices themselves using IPs outside the DHCP range (though obviously within the subnet range). If a device requires a DHCP allocated IP it can then be issued with one without potential conflict with anything already connected.
David
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

I've set my DHCP range to 192.168.0.3 to 192.168.0.99 (1 is the router, 2 is my separate Wireless access point). I allocate fixed IP's above 100 - also by setting them on the PC.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
quelquod
Pro
Fixes: 1

The TG582n web interface is pretty restricted - you can't set up static DHCPs from it - you need to use the command line.
Telnet into the router (same name and password as the web interface)  and then do the following:
dhcp server lease list (lists the current DHCP clients)
dhcp server lease delete clientid=xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx ( xx etc. is the MAC address of appropriate client from above list - deletes the current lease)
dhcp server lease add clientid=xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx pool=LAN_private addr=192.168.1.x leasetime=0 (adds required IP for appropriate client with infinite lease time)
saveall
Then reboot PC or whatever to get the new lease.
Democracy - 3 wolves and a lamb voting about what to have for lunch!
NeilByMouth
Grafter

is there anyway to make the leases not expire though via the html interface? I don't have my router yet but this would be good to know for when I set stuff up.
Ronski
Rising Star

Mega thread revival  Smiley
Came across this thread whilst searching how to set up static IPs and DHCP on a TG582n, and found the attached document that others will find useful.
I've got to say that the TG582n is probably the worst, most user unfriendly router I've had the misfortune to use, I'm just glad I don't need to delve into it to alter things very often.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

I think "most user unfriendly router" depends on your expectations / needs.
For the bulk of non-technical users, it plugs in and it works with MINIMAL setting up.  If such users do go into the web interface there is little that they can totally screw-up by accident.

However for the technically more savvy / demanding of us, the user interface restrictions is indeed a right pain in the rear end.  That said, the telnet interface (which tech savvy users should be able to work with) does give access to tweaking nearly anything you care to fiddle with.  That includes inhibiting the factory reset capability!!!  Shocked
From experience, I think that many of the 'more flexible' devices present a far too complex UI for the majority of users.

Cheers,
Kevin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Ronski
Rising Star

I do agree for the average user who just wants to plug it in and use it then it's fine, for anything more advanced like port forwarding etc the interface is horrible.
Can you post a link to the Telnet information.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

Ronski,
Try this for starters - http://npr.me.uk/ - provided by 'npr' one of the regular PN customers posting on here.  There is a LOT of detailed and useful information here.  Please use with care though!

Kevin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

batchelorboy

Having looked at Telnet and other solutions, I have finally found how to get fixed IP addresses within the TG582n's own GUI.  First, you let DHCP allocate an IP address then you can find an option to fix the IP address on the device.  This sets the DHCP lease time to 'Infinite'.  So no need to use Telnet to do it.  OK, the downside is that you don't get to pick the IP address - you have to use the one that DHCP gives you.  Also, you will have a problem if your device cannot use DHCP to get an IP address.  The upside is that Port Forwarding will work for things like IP Cameras.
The big pity is that Plusnet's support staff don't know how to do this on their own router.  They referred me to get support from Techicolor, which would be OK if it wasn't for the fact that when you log on to the router it has a Plusnet logo on it, indicating that Plusnet at least has some 'ownership' of the router.
pvmb
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Quote from: batchelorboy
Having looked at Telnet and other solutions, I have finally found how to get fixed IP addresses within the TG582n's own GUI.
OK, the downside is that you don't get to pick the IP address - you have to use the one that DHCP gives you.  Also, you will have a problem if your device cannot use DHCP to get an IP address.

Hello, I am trying to see if I can get around a problem like this.
I am using a Plusnet technicolor Tg582n router. I have an elderly HP LaserJet 5m printer with an HP JetDirect card, which I prefer to connect to the router via ethernet. Trouble is, the firmware in the JetDirect card is so old it doesn't know about DHCP (just RARP or BOOTP). With a previous D-Link DSL 2680 router, using the internal router support web pages, I was able to restrict the router assigned DHCP address range and enter a static IP and ethernet address for the printer. This worked fine.
Does anyone have any idea if the Tg582n can be induced to support BOOTP, for backward compatibility with static device addresses outside the DHCP range, as my old D-Link router can?
Thanks in advance.
pvmb
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Well, I seem to have got this basically going, using the dhcp server lease add command.  Smiley
Thanks to quelquod.
Though I did this by placing the LaserJet IP address inside the DHCP range, rather than outside, as I expected.
Looks as if it just needs a bit of tidying up as I get the "Unknown-<MAC address>" title in the Technicolor Admin pages. Would be nice to see "LaserJet 5m"! Could it be that clientid should be a name string rather than a MAC address? Because I also entered the MAC address later in the command, when requested.
coople
Grafter

Quote from: quelquod
The TG582n web interface is pretty restricted - you can't set up static DHCPs from it - you need to use the command line.
Telnet into the router (same name and password as the web interface)  and then do the following:
dhcp server lease list (lists the current DHCP clients)
dhcp server lease delete clientid=xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx ( xx etc. is the MAC address of appropriate client from above list - deletes the current lease)
dhcp server lease add clientid=xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx pool=LAN_private addr=192.168.1.x leasetime=0 (adds required IP for appropriate client with infinite lease time)
saveall
Then reboot PC or whatever to get the new lease.

Thanks for this quelquod, works for me