cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Technicolor TG582n - Can't uncheck the 'Allowed on WLAN'

Qwerty1

Re: Technicolor TG582n - Can't uncheck the 'Allowed on WLAN'

I would take issue with your Product Team's findings. The tick box is there for a reason, and the fact it doesn't work is just poor coding in the web interface. You can see that if you block a device using the command line, the box becomes unticked. So, it's reading the correct value from the device settings. Of course you should be able to change this via the tick box.
For those who might feel a little intimidated by the thought of using the command line, please don't be. Here's a walkthrough of how to block a device from connecting to your Wireless LAN on a Technicolor TG582n:

This is the command:
wireless macacl add ssid_id=0 radio_id=0 hwaddr=xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx permission=deny

The 'hwaddr' is the MAC address of the device. You'll need to do a little Google research on how to find it, depending on what the device is; phone / ipad / laptop etc. Where you have more than one network device, such as in a laptop (which usually has a connection for a network cable as well as a wireless adapter) you'll want the MAC address for the wireless device.

So - how to access the command line interface on your Technicolor modem?
Well, firstly, make sure you're connected to it. Either a wired or wireless connection is fine. Next, you'll need the IP address of your router. Unless you've changed it manually, it's highly likely to be 192.168.0.1, or 192.168.1.1 You can check by typing the IP address into the address bar of your web browser, and it should take you to the login page for your router. (In the example below, my router's IP address was 192.168.1.254 because I had more than one router on the network).

You'll need to open a command line on your computer - with Windows this is the program called 'CMD' (or a DOS prompt). Quick way to get there is to hold down the Windows key and 'R' at the same time - this gives you a small box called 'Run', and then in this box type 'cmd' and hit return. You should get a new window, called command prompt or similar.

You're going to connect using a program called 'Telnet', so run that by typing telnet. You'll see the command prompt change if that was successful. Then open a connection to your router using the command 'open' followed by your router's IP address.
Then login using the login details you would use to login via the web interface (not the login for connecting wirelessly!). This will probably be 'admin' - it's printed on the underside of the router if you've forgotten the password.

You should see a login screen, and the command prompt for your router. At this point, you can type in the command to block your device (remember to change the xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx part to the MAC address you want to block!). If you make a mistake and block a device you didn't mean to, you can run the same command again, but change the last part to permission=allow'

wireless macacl add ssid_id=0 radio_id=0 hwaddr=xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx permission=deny

The change should be immediate - when I did this, a connected device that I blocked was kicked off the network straight away. That might depend on the device. I didn't need to restart the router, but you may find that you need to.

Below is what the process looks like, copied from my command line. You can see that the text line wraps around no matter how large you make your command line window. That's why the word 'permission' is in two parts - it's still one word, and should be typed in one go..

telnet
telnet> open 192.168.1.254
Trying 192.168.1.254...
Connected to 192.168.1.254.
Escape character is '^]'.
Username : admin
Password : ***********
------------------------------------------------------------------------

______  Technicolor TG582n
                         ___/_____/\
                        /         /\\  8.4.4.J.BV
                  _____/__       /  \\
                _/       /\_____/___ \  Copyright (c) 1999-2011, Technicolor
               //       /  \       /\ \
       _______//_______/    \     / _\/______
      /      / \       \    /    / /        /\
   __/      /   \       \  /    / /        / _\__
  / /      /     \_______\/    / /        / /   /\
 /_/______/___________________/ /________/ /___/  \
 \ \      \    ___________    \ \        \ \   \  /
  \_\      \  /          /\    \ \        \ \___\/
     \      \/          /  \    \ \        \  /
      \_____/          /    \    \ \________\/
           /__________/      \    \  /
           \   _____  \      /_____\/
            \ /    /\  \    /___\/
             /____/  \  \  /
             \    \  /___\/
              \____\/

------------------------------------------------------------------------
{admin}=>wireless macacl add ssid_id=0 radio_id=0 hwaddr=xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx perm
ission=deny

{admin}=>exit
Connection closed by foreign host.

if you want to reboot the router, then instead of 'exit' you can use the command 'system reboot' i.e.

{admin}=>system reboot
Connection closed by foreign host.

pvmb
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Do you need to execute the command saveall after entering that CLI command? You usually do with the TG582n if you want to preserve new settings through a reboot.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

@Qwerty1 wrote:

I would take issue with your Product Team's findings. The tick box is there for a reason, and the fact it doesn't work is just poor coding in the web interface. You can see that if you block a device using the command line, the box becomes unticked. So, it's reading the correct value from the device settings. Of course you should be able to change this via the tick box.

I'm afraid it's a router we haven't supplied for a number of years now, so it's very unlikely any further updates or changes will go through for it.

@pvmb wrote:

Do you need to execute the command saveall after entering that CLI command? You usually do with the TG582n if you want to preserve new settings through a reboot.

Saveall just commits changes to the router, it's probably worth doing that.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet