cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Technicolor TG582n – Assigning IP address to router, does it make sense?

mcaldo
Dabbler

Technicolor TG582n – Assigning IP address to router, does it make sense?

Hi, I use a Technicolor TG582n  as a modem only, and  a netgear R700 as a router.
All our devices connect to the netgear. I have  a static IP.
Does it make sense to assign the IP to the router?
I understand , this would bypass the modem firewall and leave all ports exposed, so I can manage port forwarding  and security on the router only?
Is there any security concern doing so?
12 REPLIES 12
aesmith
Pro
Fixes: 4

Re: Technicolor TG582n – Assigning IP address to router, does it make sense?

Which device does the authentication?
mcaldo
Dabbler

That's a good question, as you might have guessed I am not too knowlegeable about networking.
Sorry, probably a silly question but, what do you mean by authentication?
Authentication to the ISP?
dick:quote
aesmith
Pro
Fixes: 4

Which device has your username and password?  The way I read your post you have ADSL service, which connects to a Modem, then inside the modem you have your Router.  In that design it would normally be the router that carries out the PPP authentication, and therefore gets your external IP address applied to it.  The firewall features in the router would therefore be the relevant ones, as your traffic passes straight through the modem.    With Plusnet's service you normally leave your kit configured to to accept a dynamic IP address on authentication, all that happens when you switch to a fixed IP address is that Plusnet always gives you the same address.
mcaldo
Dabbler

Hi Tony,
Thanks so much for your reply.
It seems that my modem is the one authenticating.
At least, there is a user and password mentioned in the connection information section of Internet Services

Internet
Connection Information

Link Status: IPv4 connected
IPv6 disconnected
Uptime: 0 days, 0:16:00
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [GB/GB]: 37.72 / 278.06
Connection Settings

PVC Info (VPI.VCI): 0.38
Type: PPPoA
PPP Settings

Username: myuser@plusdsl.net
Password: **********
Connection Mode: Always-On

To be honest, I bought the router quite a while ago and I do not remember having added plus net passwords in it, or changing settings on the modem.
All I did was connecting the router to the modem and then use the router for connecting any other device, wireless or LAN cable.
This has improved things a lot in that the r700 is very stable compared to the netgear.
Basically, the router is a device on the modem local area network (192.XXX.XXX.XXX) , but all my devices are on the router network (10.0.0.XX).
Now I was trying connecting  the laptop directly to the modem via lan cable, while creating a udp port forwarding rule  associated to my laptop on the modem.
However, when I test with an internet service that port, it seems it it closed.
I then tried assigning the IP directly to my laptop, no success, and then activating DMZ, again no success, the port still seems closed.
However, it seems from what you say that the router, not the modem, is what matters?
I have used from time to time software which use UPnP , which is enabled on both router and modem, and everything seemed to work fine.
EnglishMohican
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

I am planning to do shortly what you seem to be trying to do now.
As I understand it, the preferred system is that the TG582 does nothing more than translate ethernet speak from the R700 into ADSL speak to send to Plusnet and vice versa for data coming downstream. As such it is totally unintelligent. It does not do firewalling or routing of any sort.  The information that is translated by the TG582 is totally determined by the R700. Thus the R700 is responsible for sending your user identity and password to Plusnet for authentication and for protecting your internal network from the evils of the external internet. The R700 has the external static IP address on its WAN port and the TG582 does not have an IP address of its own.  I have no idea whether the R700 is capable of doing any of that.
The advantage seemed to be that this arrangement avoided the TG582 and R700 both having some level of control and confusing each other. It also allows you to use the increased facilities and flexibility of the R700 to make your system do what you want rather than having to rely on the TG582 - assuming that the R700 has increased facilities.
I did discover a thread on here that discussed how you persuaded the TG582 to act as purely a modem but my bookmark to it has gone missing - sorry. It did involve using telnet to give CLI commands to the TG582 that set it into the right mode.  UPNP should not need to come into it.
mcaldo
Dabbler

Thanks.
Yep, bypassing the technicolor routing entirely could be a solution, even if truly my main need is to be able to forward port 4464, and at the moment I am not quite managing even connecting directly to the modem rather than the router.
Is this the thread you were referring about?
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,105753.0.html
ian007jen
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

@mcaldo Yor are double NATting, ie using two routers; the TG582 is not in modem only mode...it is in router mode (it is doing the ppp auth.)
The R700 is getting an ip address from the tg and then also acting as a dhcp server on the 10.0.0.xx subnet
You may not be able to port forward correctly with your setup.
Ian
mcaldo
Dabbler

Hi Ian,
Thanks, you are certainly correct, I have two networks.
How do I correct that though?
I mean, assigning the external IP to the router is perhaps a solution ?
Aldo
ian007jen
Rising Star

Aldo
You have a few options.
1) Try to change the TG582 into a modem.

2) Use the TG582 as a router and the R700 as an access point TG582 on 192.168.1.254 DHCP on with range 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.1.200 wireless on or off.........R700 on 192.168.1.253..... DHCP OFF (LAN cable connecting ANY lan port of TG582 to ANY LAN port of R700)
3) Buy a modem less than £20 either a dlink 302b or an  HG612 off ebay (THE hg612 is supplied for FTTC connection but can be unlocked and used on ADSL)
mcaldo
Dabbler

Thanks for the advice!
Option 2 is out of the table because the r700 is way more reliable that the technicolour as a router, and it gives me a faster internal network and NAS capability via USB, so definetely I would like to keep the netgear as a router.
Option 1 could be an option, but given I work remotely from home, messing up with my only modem is probably something I should not do, as it might end up costing me more money than buying a true modem only device.
Which leaves only option 3. Thanks so much for pointing me to precise models, it seems most of what gets called 'modem' on ebay is also a router.
The only doubt I have is that the dlink seems to be liited to 24mbs download and 5mbs upload.
At the moment I have only 10mbs and 1,2mbs , so it will do just fine, but if I upgrade it might not be a future-proof choice.
Is the dlink easy to set up with plusnet, as far as you know?
ian007jen
Rising Star

mcaldo
Dabbler

Thanks, appreciated!