Did you mean: 

TG585v8 Rebooting When Laptop Connects

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: TG585v8 Rebooting When Laptop Connects

WestEndGirl,
I'm going to see if we can upgrade the firmware from here for you. Failing that it might be a new router.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
WestEndGirl
Dabbler

Thanks very much Adam. Do you have access to my email and account details from whatever I filled out to sign in to register on here? 
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi WestEndGirl,
I checked your firmware yesterday and it has the latest version already. I saw here that you seemed to have success here by disabling the wireless n in your properties. Are you having problems other than the one you reported originally?
Jojo Smiley
WestEndGirl
Dabbler

Hi Jojo,
Yes, it seems to be connecting now I've disabled wireless n, although I don't know the implications of that, nor why I should have to do it on a new laptop and a pretty new router. I upgraded the firmware myself before the weekend. Would a different brand of router mean I could use wireless n?
Cheers.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi WestEndGirl,
would a different brand of router mean I could use wireless n?

I'm not sure if the Dell is having issues with any other router as we only supply the Thomson. In theory, yes, but wireless b/g will work up to 54Mbps. As this is far faster than your connection you wouldn't notice any difference, unless you were using it to transfer files over a home network or you were on FTTP. Otherwise, I wouldn't be too concerned to be honest.
Jojo Smiley
WestEndGirl
Dabbler

Ok, thanks for that.  Smiley