cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TG582n - Static IP range required on ethernet connections only

MrBlonde

TG582n - Static IP range required on ethernet connections only

Hi all,
Ok, I'm soon to be activated and after a look through the settings on the TG582n router I've set up the wireless side of things with a new SSID and key and kept it as DHCP. But I need to have the hard wired ethernet connections going in to it as a static IP range, namely 192.168.0.2 -> 192.168.0.20, as I have an old (but good) HP laser printer with an even older Jetdirect card in it, that can't do DHCP at all (it's configured as 192.168.0.10).
Now while I can see place to set this up in the router's interface settings, I'm not quite sue what to put in the boxes to get what I need.
Any help very much appreciated.
14 REPLIES 14
npr
Pro
Fixes: 9

Re: TG582n - Static IP range required on ethernet connections only

Edit and change the routers IP address / mask from 192.168.1.254/24 to 192.168.0.254/24
And under DHCP Pool
Change LAN_private from 192.168.1.64 -192.168.1.253
to 192.168.0.64 - 192.168.0.253
And gateway from 192.168.1.254 to 192.168.0.254
The printer should then be ok on a static IP address of 192.168.0.10
which, importantly is outside the DHCP pool.
MrBlonde

Thanks npr....you're a star.
MrBlonde

Well, what an utterly aggravating experience that was to do...
The address's couldn't be changed at all at first and the error that came back said nothing about what to do next either. Fortunately for me I still have a second internet connection with my soon to be defunc old provider, so I could search for answers (a complete hassle for those without) . In the search it would appear that for any IP address changes to be allowed you have to disable DHCP first! Link here : http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,104670.0.html/
When you do this however, the router states that it must be rebooted for this to take effect so you reboot and loose your connection, as you now need a static IP address on your network adapter to get in again.
Yes, I think I can safely say this this router has the worst possible interface I've ever come across too and unless I missed something in the help archive here, there's a serious need for a write up about setting up static IP addresses and a better explanation of the interface as a whole for that matter.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi MrBlonde,
See what you're saying, I'll talk to our products team and see if we can get something written up for that. It's certainly an involved process!
MrBlonde

And now a Port Forwarding problem...
I've disabled the router's Firewall (after finally seeing that this should be turned off prior to doing this) and set up a new 'application', which is for uTorrent using ports 50000->55000 and called it "uTorrent to 192.168.0.2" and saved it. But when I go into "Assign a game or application to a local network device" and assign it to either my mac address (it's the only device connected and visible) or manually give it my static IP address of 192.168.0.2 and hit add, nothing turns up in the game and application list at all even after rebooting the router. I've tried a few Torrents just in case but nothing starts at all.
Static IP related problem? My use of ports 50000-55000 (originally set to try and avoid Virgin's balancing/shaping in the evenings)?
npr
Pro

There's no need to disable the routers firewall.
Are some of the ports you're trying to assign already assigned?
Can't assign the same port twice.
IMO you would be better having the target device on a dynamic (DHCP) address for PF and UPnP.
MrBlonde

I've just re-enabled the Firewall in it's standard setting - I must have read that wrong - thanks.
Nothing else is configured on the port forwarding side of things at all apart from the default FTP which I can see in the list. This is the one and only port forward I need configured.
So there's a problem with static IP's and port forwarding on this router? I'll give DHCP a try on this PC then I guess...back soon...
EDIT : Ok...no change when using DHCP at all even after deleting all I'd done and seting it up again. Interestingly, although I can grab one of the pre-defined games from the list and this gets added, if I then edit one of them to use the above port range it won't add it at all !?

npr
Pro

It does work, I've just tried -- took all of 30 seconds.
See the screen captures here -- they took a little longer Wink
Is there anything different there to what you did?
Edit:
Temporary link removed.
MrBlonde

Appreciate your help and yes, it should take all of 30 seconds...
Apart from you having UPnP and Extended Security off (not that it made a difference here at all), nope no difference whatsoever from my end.
npr
Pro

If all else fails just enable UPnP and let that take care of things.
AFAIK p2p software is that aggressive it should be able to open the necessary ports via UPnP.
The usual problem is trying to prevent access by someone running p2p software on the network  Wink
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

I can't imagine a bittorrent program requires 5000 incoming ports forwarded to it. Last time I checked, any modern bittorrent program uses 1 incoming port to handle all the incoming connections it will receive. Is utorrent set to randomly pick a port between 50000 and 55000 or something?
MrBlonde

Sorry for the late reply...
It would seem that the router got it's proverbials in a twist as I just created a new port-forward of 50000-55000, after leaving it alone for a few hours and it took first go. I've now reduced it to a single port (50000) as I can't recall where that came from either, ejs, and everything is fine.
Thanks a lot guys.
npr
Pro

Glad you've got it working Smiley
Was the target device still on a dynamic IP?
If so it may indicate the need for a  reboot after going from static to dynamic.
Just looking for further confirmation of my belief in dynamic IP's for PF and UPnP. Wink
MrBlonde

Yes, it was a dynamic client last night but it also worked this morning to a static IP client (the same pc), on the first time of asking too and without a reboot in between. It's as if the router decided that only IT would decide when to clear out it's tables of any corrupt information, and all in it's own time too lol.