Did you mean: 

Super random connection speeds

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 398

Re: Super random connection speeds

but from master to test was (as you saw) double the sync speed

Given this, there is obviously some problem related to the internal wiring.
Normally the bell wire is the favourite in these situations but if that is not the case here then other possibilities could be:
Bad contact between the master socket frontplate and the test socket.
Bad connections on the extension cables on either the frontplate OR the extension socket.
FEC errors in themselves arent TOO great a problem in that they are correctable errors ( see here http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/error_correction.htm for explanation ) BUT they are indicative of a poor/noisy connection.
We need to establish what is causing the difference between the test socket and the master/extension.
If you have an IDC punch tool ( so that you can reconnect it! ) I'd be tempted to disconnect the extension wiring at the faceplate and then try with the router plugged into the master socket with the faceplate attached ( i.e NOT the test socket ). This should determine whether the extension cabling or the faceplate is giving problems. It also gives an opportunity to remake the extension connections. 
Anyone else any thoughts ?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

AdamR
Dabbler

On speaking to PN support we ran some speed tests and agreed to leave the router plugged into test socket for a few days to see what the stability is like and if speeds improve (i was told 72 hrs is usually the norm).  When plugged in to the test socket i still have wildly varying download speeds.  25kbps yesterday afternoon, 5kbps yesterday night (off peak), and 80 kbps this morning, all downloading the same file from the microsoft website.  Speed test results using the PN tester seemed to vary accordingly.... but lets wait and see.
I agree it seems like a problem with the internal wiring.  I'm guessing a punch would be available from a good hardware store?
Thanks
James
Grafter

Adam - Those speed results look like you're quoting from the BT Speedtester.
Don't use it to give an indication of what speeds your getting.  Use our own speedtester for that sort of thing.  The only use the BT Speedtester has is to tell you what your IP Profile is.
AdamR
Dabbler

Sorry james, i should've said that was the speed being quoted to me by the Firefox download manager when downloading a large file from the microsoft website - the PN representative i spoke to last night informed me of the speedtesters uselessness at throughput speed!
James
Grafter

Hi Adam,
That's not the best option either (sorry!).
We rate limit downloads from the Microsoft website, which are classed as a "download server".
Your best bet is by using http://mybroadbandspeed.co.uk
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

I'm guessing a punch would be available from a good hardware store?

You can get a cheap and cheerful one from B&Q http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav.jsp?isSearch=true&fh_search=idc&x=0&y=0
It should be OK for a limited number of uses Smiley

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

So just to clarify on the wiring then, you should only have the blue pair (blue with white marker, white with blue marker) connected to terminals 2 & 5 at the master faceplate and every extension. The cable should be solid core twisted pair to spec CW1308 (which it probably is if it has those colours + an orange pair and a green pair; and possibly a brown pair if a 4 pair cable).
AdamR
Dabbler

Quote from: Jameseh
We rate limit downloads from the Microsoft website, which are classed as a "download server".

I understand that but surely it wouldn't be limited more during off peak than during peak times?  I.e. in theory i should have a higher speed at 12:30am than i should at 9pm?  The same going for torrents (all being equal?)
Anyway this is probably best addressed once we've established exactly which part of my house is in issue!
Quote from: Anotherone
you should only have the blue pair (blue with white marker, white with blue marker) connected to terminals 2 & 5 at the master faceplate

That's correct.  The house is a new build - approx 2 years old (still a building site on google earth!) so i would presume wiring is up to spec.
Thanks

Anotherone
Champion

and every extension
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

The house is a new build - approx 2 years old (still a building site on google earth!) so i would presume wiring is up to spec.

You can't presume that I'm afraid. The wiring is usually installed by electricians and not telecom's engineers!

AdamR
Dabbler

Quote from: Anotherone
and every extension

Give me a chance, i was in a rush this morning!  Roll_eyes
Anotherone
Champion

Grin Grin Wink
AdamR
Dabbler

Ok seems i got my facts a little muddled (in a rush!!), and now i'm more confused than ever.  Undecided
At the master i have green/white and white/green wires in 2, Orange/white and white/orange wires in 5.
At the extension socket in my room i have green/white in 2, and orange/white in 5, with a blue/white in to 3.
Odd wiring?  Shocked
Cheers
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Strange wiring... Roll_eyes
Have you got more than one extension ?
From what you say there are 2 pairs of wires connected to each of terminal 2 & 5 on the master faceplate.
One pair goes to the extension , where does the other pair go ?
Goodness knows where the blue/white wire connected to terminal 3 at the extension goes  Huh but its best disconnected!

AdamR
Dabbler

We've got loads of extensions, i can count 8 off the top of my head, probably more.  I will check some others tomorrow to see what the deal is!
DSL dropped out at about 8  but up now at 448/7520