cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Super random connection speeds

AdamR
Dabbler

Re: Super random connection speeds

And now.... rather randomly..... from the only extension socket in the house where we can all get signal..... the master bedroom.....
Uptime: 0 days, 0:00:46
DSL Type: G.992.1 annex A
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 448 / 7,488
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [kB/kB]: 0.00 / 0.00
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.0 / 19.5
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 12.5 / 24.0
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 22.0 / 10.5
Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / TSTC
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote): 0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 0
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 0
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 0
Shocked
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Confirmed!
It's either try to address the wiring issues, or continue to use the test socket.
Quote from: AdamR
Oddly enough there are network points throughout the house but all the cabling runs to a cupboard upstairs and just stops - it's not even terminated.

I presume you mean there are bare wires without plugs on the end hanging loose in the cupboard. If there is a network socket near the master telephone socket you could consider putting plugs on the end of those wires and put a switch in the cupboard upstairs (presuming there's power available there!).
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
AdamR
Dabbler

Was tempted but again, not sure i can be bothered to get the crimping tool and bits to fix a house i could ultimately leave in a few months!
At the moment its running from the master bedroom socket and speeds (as well as reception - phew!!) look good.
We shall see.
Odd that the master plug is slower than an extension for sync speed?!
EDIT:
Sorry to almost flood the thread, but i've tried d/l from microsoft website, ended up at around 135KB/s, but now using P2P i'm getting around only 17KB/s, with loads of bandwidth headroom.  I'm downloading the most popular file i could find - some free animated video, so seeds/leachers shouldnt be a problem.
Am i being limited by PN perhaps?
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

P2P on all accounts except Plusnet Pro, BBYW Pro and PAYG will be restricted before midnight (and there is an overall bandwidth restriction that may affect those account types as well), then at midnight loads kick in to take advantage of the free usage. I'd expect speeds to pick up around 1am.
Have you monitored the noise margin and sync speed when you use the phone, or when it is ringing for an incoming call. If it stays stable in both cases you should be OK.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
James
Grafter

Hi Adam,
If you have a look at this link, it shows how we rate limit some protocols on your product.
http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/products/archive/bbyw/speed.shtml#Option2speeds
Microsoft downloads are treated as a download server.  How are your *normal* speeds?
AdamR
Dabbler

Hi James, i understand the download server limits, in fact i was noting the speed as i was happy with it!  *Normal* speeds, mybroadbandspeed for example come out at around 250-350kb/s which again, is good.
Also, P2P picked up overnight and averaged at around 320kb/s.  So again, happy with this.
jelv - not tried the phone, and to be honest, it's not often used.  I'll check this tonight.
It seems strange that by doing nothing other than running in test socket for a bit, things have picked up!?