Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sudden drop of 10mbps

OhWell
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Sudden drop of 10mbps

Hi,

Whilst WFH today, I noticed a very sluggish connection.

When I checked the router stats, it shows a sudden 10mb reduction in DL speed, although UL speed appears to not have changed. The connection also appears to have only been up a day even though I leave the router on all the time and there have been no router upgrades.

This indicates to me an interruption BT/PN end.

Please could someone with access to PN/OR systems check my account & connection. I've had troubles in the past with being changed profile due to DLM.

Thanks in advance

Edit, here are screen grabs from my router:

IMG_20230526_192534.jpgIMG_20230526_192512.jpg

6 REPLIES 6
Mr_Paul
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 11

Re: Sudden drop of 10mbps

@OhWell 

The noise margins look a bit high, have you tried a Quiet Line Test?

Plug a wired telephone into the master socket, dial 17070 and select option 2. Apart from the occasional announcement, there should be absolutely no noise/hum etc at all.

OhWell
Rising Star

I don't have access to a phone unfortunately. I believe something has changed either in the street infrastructure or cabinet, or at the BT/PN end.

Ideally I'd like one of the gurus here with access to my account to do a check pls.

For reference, here  is a post from January that shows my stats with what the speeds were

OhWell
Rising Star

Just checked my TOR, and now my speed is pretty much on the minimum guaranteed speed 🙁

Pls could I request a DLM reset to see if it goes back to what it was?
OhWell
Rising Star

Thought I'd try rebooting my router to see if it made a difference. Looks like the DL speed has picked up a bit. Will monitor to see what it settles down at.

IMG_20230527_104929.jpgIMG_20230527_104909.jpg

Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 75

@OhWell 

I would keep an eye on Errors (pkts), it's not wrong to see some errors, but it is the rate of change. A noisy line would cause the error count to increment.

If you have a openreach master socket 5C, noise can be introduced by poor seating of the faceplate to the main body of the master socket.

HTH

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 162

Nothing in the infrastructure will have "changed" in the manner you presume, but there being a line fault (probably intermittent) might give rise to the increase SNRM to maintain a stable link.  Speed is not everything!

Your best course of action is to obtain the most valuable diagnostic tool available for this profile of issue - a telephone handset and follow the advice offered already to check for line noise.  This is something you need to be able to do when you notice issues.  Intermittent noise has an uncanny knack of not being there when an engineer attends.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.