Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Static IP?

Kali_ffs
Hooked

Static IP?

Hello 

Can anyone explain as to why my 'Static' IP keeps changing address.

It is adding increased latency and more packet loss than it was before the move to the static address, i'm not sure why, this is very frustrating because the service before, even though it would switch address sometimes twice a day, was better. Kind of.

My friends in the Netherlands, Germany etc have better pings than me, how does that work?

I use servers in the USA and my ping would be 98 solid, now its 130 - 140, with packet loss.

Their servers have not moved. I was assigned a static IP as a way of resolving the continuous increased latency, only to discover it doesn't appear to be static at all and now i have more packet loss.

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

19 REPLIES 19
Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

Re: Static IP?

@Kali_ffs  Welcome to the forum.

Assuming that you have rebooted your hub to pick up the static address or you are using a VPN it sounds as though the change to static never got activated.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Why do you think it’s changing? Looking at the IP address used to create this post, you are on static.

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Kali_ffs
Hooked

Hi dvorak

It is changing at random times, it'll show Petworth, then flip to some other random town in the south, even though i live in West Bromwich, Birmingham. So why would it show a small towns in the south as my IP?

Why would i be assigned a static IP so far from my location? As i said this is causing more latency to various servers i use.

Is it a likely mistake, or just the way static IPs are assigned?

Thanks

Kali_ffs
Hooked

Hi Baldrick

Plusnet said they would do it from their end as i was at work, but i restarted the router again myself later on. Still flips at random times to small towns in the south even though i live in Birmingham. 

dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

The location of your ip is a best guess but the checker and is wholly inaccurate.
you can validate what your actual IP address is by looking in your hub technical log or using one of the many online services (such as https://whatismyipaddress.com).

as I said looking at the IP address you have static.

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Kali_ffs
Hooked

Thanks dvorak,

Forgive my ignorance but wouldn't the static IP address thats been assigned be closer to my actual location, as it's saying its nearer Manchester than it is Birmingham? Or is it just how Plusnet assign them? Randomly...

It also says it is static,so thats a plus...

My old IP addresses used to be in the Catshill area which is right by me..

Thanks for taking the time to educate my ass

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Hi there,

Dynamic IPs are location-specific, but static IPs are not, due to the way they’re assigned from our network. 

You’ve also got to take into account that the databases which the 3rd party sites are checking the geolocation may not be accurate or they may be out of date. 

(Not in the office currently so I can’t have a look at your account itself but hopefully the above explanation helps though let me know if you’ve got further queries)

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

@Kali_ffs 

You can search "Where's my IP address location" for yourself and get umpteen different answers.

IP address location identification is an art not science!  It can variously be "taken" from various real information sources or simply the postal address of the IP address owner - BT or Plusnet.

It all depends upon which geolocation data provider a particular service provider uses.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Kali_ffs
Hooked

Hi Gandalf

I only ask because the latency to the various servers i use has gone up dramatically.

I know the server owners and they have not relocated.

The packet loss seems resolved but its just the latency that has now changed when it was fine before, from 98 solid to 148 ping, (American servers) thats why i ask, it seems to be taking a longer route and is just killing my online sessions.

I was switched to static because of the latency issues whilst on Dynamic, it would just change randomly, is there anything that can be done?

Thanks for your time....

Kali_ffs
Hooked

Hi townman

My IP is different, it says Chester on one site and London NW6 on another, though the Chester one seems more accurate.

Just seemed weird that i'd be assigned an IP in a different part of the country, considering i live in Birmingham, which is why i think my latency has gotten worse as it would take more 'hops' to get to where the info needs to be going...

But thanks anyway...

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

You seem to misunderstand. The IP address you are assigned, if static will always be the same. Search WHAT’s my IP address.

Where it is reported to be will be variable depending on which geolocation data service you reference - search WHERE is my IP location. Put little store on the answers to WHERE.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 73

@Townman 

I think the issue here is the term being used, I believe like you the "IP Address" is static but the geolocation "address of the IP" is coming up with different locations and this is where the misunderstanding is.

@Kali_ffs 

Using https://www.iplocation.net/ip-lookup for IP Address  81.174.128.108 (not my IP address) you see many locations (see snap below), this site also indicates the geolocation database being used.

Screenshot 2022-05-14 084120.png

This does not mean your public IP Address is connecting at a different location to where you actually live.

Dan.

Kali_ffs
Hooked

Hi Dan_the_van

Thats cleared up my misunderstanding, apologises to all...

But can anyone answer as to why my latency to the servers mentioned has increased since the switch?

The reason for the static IP was because of the Dynamic i did have changing up to three times a day, or so i thought, because of the latency increases and decreases, and now since the switch to a static IP it's just increased and stayed there...very frustrating...

Anyone????

Thanks again to all...

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 254

@Kali_ffs I may be wrong, but it is possible (I suppose) that the different IPs meant you were routed slightly different on each - could be wrong as it is not something I have gone into deeply - but now you are on a static the routing doesn't change?

I'm sure @Dan_the_Van , @Townman  and @Gandalf will correct me if I am wrong. 😁

Can't answer the question of increased latency though as again it is not something I've had need to worry about, so haven't looked into it.

John