cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed Issue - please help

matthedges

Speed Issue - please help

Hi, I have had problems since I started with plus net in getting a solid connection that does not drop and is fast enough but I have just about given up getting it fully sorted.
Having been through the process of fault reporting etc I got to the point where it was a case of call out BT or do nothing and to be honest if I am being dense hardware wise at home then I cant afford to waste £144 + Vat to find out by calling BT out.
I just wondered if I posted some stats having checked my status pages if people could try and put my mind at ease and let me know if my connection is running as it should be or if there is anything else I can do to improve the speed of my connection?
My line used to drop all the time but it is now stable enough that at most times I can only be disconnected once every now and then which I can deal with to avoid the time and hassle that I can ill afford to sort it out - it still does drop fairly often but it always reconnects when I click repair on the wireless connections tab
Do my stats look ok for an 'upto' 8mb connection or not?  I was told previously that I had a very low noise margin for a very long line but I dont understand it all to be honest?!
2 REPLIES 2
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Speed Issue - please help

Hi there,
The margin is a little lower than I'd be expecting given the attenuation but overall the speed and line figures match quite well. The trouble is, when the margin is increased the line speed tends to drop as a result.
Depending on how often the connection is droppping it may be worth asking BT to alter this - let me know if you'd like us to raise it with them for you.
Hope that helps,
James
Grafter

Re: Speed Issue - please help

The key is your downstream line attenuation being @ 63dB.
That's about as high as a BT line will support and indicate that you are a considerable distance away from the exchange.
Unfortunately, that also means that without moving closer to an exchange, speeds will always be rtaher on the low side.