Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow upload speed

Polaris1
Dabbler

Slow upload speed

Hi,

For the last couple of days or so my upload speed has been extremely slow, whereas the download speed seems OK.  I'm on unlimited fibre and my download speed has been around 37-38Mb since March 21 when I had it installed.  The upload speed has been around 9-10Mb, whereas the last couple of days it has been <1Mb, yesterday the speed test showed 0.25kb!!

Is there anything that can be done to test whether there is a fault externally?  I have rebooted my computer/router and tested with a wired connection, with no improvement.  From my point of view, nothing has changed.

Any help/suggestions would be much appreciated as I am not very technical. Thanks.

Caroline

22 REPLIES 22
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 255

Re: Slow upload speed

Good morning Caroline. That sounds strange, but there is little that can be done with regards to upload speeds, these are not guaranteed by ISPs.

Can you post a screenshot of the 'Advance Diagnostic' tab from here: https://speedtest.btwholesale.com/ , please?

John
Polaris1
Dabbler

Hi,

Thanks for getting back to me - I'm at work at the moment so I won't be able to do anything until I get back later tonight (sorry, weird working hours).

At least it's not painfully slow trying to post from here!

Caroline

jab1
Legend

OK - I'm around until about 9PM, or back early in the morning.

John
Polaris1
Dabbler

Hi,

I'm not sure if this is what you want (Word file attached)?

Caroline

jab1
Legend

That's what I wanted, thanks, but unfortunately, as they 'encountered a problem' with Advanced Diagnostic, it merely confirms your observations, without the additional information the full Advanced Diagnostic would supply. I can't say much more without the extra detail, but I find it strange - usually if there is a problem with speed, it is visible on the download, with the upload remaining constant.

I'm not going to be around much for the next couple of days, but if you could see if you could get the 'Advanced' it may help others if I don't pick it up - I'll still be around, but probably not during daylight hours.

BTW - if you could post direct to the topic, rather than as a Word file, it is easier to follow.

John
Polaris1
Dabbler

OK, thanks.  I tried to paste the screen shot directly but it didn't seem to accept it - having said that it is painfully slow trying to post anything from here.

How do I get the advanced diagnostics to work properly?  All I did was enter the phone number and click OK/run.  I didn't know what the other options meant.

I've got to go in to work again tomorrow so I probably won't see any replies until late again, so technically your hours probably match mine better than you think at the moment!  

Caroline

jab1
Legend

To 'paste' the screenshot directly into the reply, save it, then click the icon to the right of the  'smiley' one above the reply window and follow the prompts.As to the Advanced Diagnostic - you can't, it's a known problem on BT's side, but perseverance usually pays off.

I'm not working - just having a couple of days at the Blackpool Coach Rally. 😀

John
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi @Polaris1 

I've just been running some tests on your line which aren't showing any obvious causes for the reduced upload speed. 

When you tried a wired connection was it direct to the router or through a network switch or a powerline adaptor etc? 

Adam

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Polaris1
Dabbler

Hi,

Thanks for the assistance, much appreciated.  I am using a desktop PC which has an Ethernet cable directly connected to my router.

I'm not sure if it is the right terminology, but someone else suggested going in to my settings, disabling the Ethernet adaptor(?) and re-enabling.  That made no difference.

As per John's previous request, I have also repeatedly tried the BT Speed test, but the Additional Diagnostics are still giving an error.  Is there anywhere else I can try to get the information from, bearing in mind I don't know what I'm looking for.

Thanks.

Caroline

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Hi Caroline, thanks for getting back to me, don't worry about the BT speed test, I can get the information we'd need from tests we've run from here for you. 

Do you have access to a different device you could run a speed test on such as a phone or tablet just so we can rule out the PC being the cause of the issue?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Polaris1
Dabbler

Hi Adam,

Normally the answer would be 'yes' as I would have my work laptop, but I had to leave that with the IT department on Friday to sort out some updates and an overheating issue/constantly running fan.  I will be able to try this, but not until Monday evening.  Sorry.

Is there anything else that I can try in the meantime?  What normally causes slow upload speeds?  It is really frustrating at the moment trying to do anything where I need to post or upload something, even an email with a small attachment is taking 2 or 3 minutes to send.

Thanks

Caroline

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

No worries, from experience issues with upload speed tend to be hardware or software related, if you've not already it would be worth making sure any security software you might have installed is up to date in the meantime. 

Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 397

Is there anything else that I can try in the meantime? 

Is there any other device connected that might be trying to do a backup to the 'cloud' e.g google drive ?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Polaris1
Dabbler

I have McAfee installed (auto updates) - I've just checked and it confirms I have the latest updates installed.