Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow ADSL Broadband

Kikusui
Hooked

Slow ADSL Broadband

Hi all,

About a week ago I noticed a large drop off in the speed of my Plusnet ADSL broadband, it has dropped to roughly a third of the speed I had been getting previously. This means it's taking ages to download anything from Xbox Live, Netflix is buffering a bit & I'm not able to see the best quality HD versions of things I'm watching. I've taken a screengrab from my router statisitics (Netgear DG7800) - see below). The speed currently has been showing 4.53Mbps downstream consistently for roughly a week, it had previously nearer 12Mbps before slowing down to it's current 4.53Mbps.

Could somebody from Plusnet be able to look into this?

I have previously has a similar issue to this, and someone at Plusnet was able to do something from their end, I've linked my previous thread from a few years ago when I had a very similar issue.

https://community.plus.net/t5/ADSL-Broadband/Extremely-slow-ADSL-Broadband-speed/m-p/1620525

11 REPLIES 11
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

Re: Slow ADSL Broadband

@Kikusui First things first - Have you carried out a Quiet Line Test on your landline? Dial 17070 option 2. Any noise on that , report a phone fault first.

John
Kikusui
Hooked

@jab1 I've done the quiet line test, can't hear any noise at all.

jab1
Legend

OK - it will probably need Help Team intervention, but if you complete the steps below it may help others to help you.

For Community members to be able to help, information from these two sites, as screenshots:-

BT Broadband(obscuring your phone number) and BTW Performance Tester - Over a wired (ethernet) connection, please report the 'ADDITIONAL DIAGNOSTICS', and sight of the HELP DESK tab from your Hub would be a start.

John
Kikusui
Hooked

Thanks for your assistance, @jab1 ! I'll post screenshots from the sites you've said in the hope that someone from the Plusnet team can assist further.

I have to admit I don't know what "sight of the HELP DESK tab from your Hub" means. A BT hub perhaps? I've never owned let alone used a BT / Plusnet hub as I've always used my own Netgear routers, currently a Netgear DG7800.

BT Screenshot 1.jpgbt screenshot 2.jpgScreenshot 2022-03-08 16.16.25.pngScreenshot 2022-03-08 16.18.08.pngScreenshot 2022-03-08 16.18.16.png

jab1
Legend

@Kikusui As I have no experience of your kit, I can't tell you where to look, but the picture below (from the PN Hub2) shows the kind of detail which would be useful. I suspect, but can't prove, that you have a BT network problem.

5.Hub2 technical.png

John
bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

@Kikusui 

You have WBC FTTP showing on the results which means you can get Ultrafast broadband if you so wish. Unfortunately PlusNet don't current offer a FTTP product though it is supposed to be coming later this year.

If you want it now you can move to BT or EE FTTP free of any contract termination charges so long as you talk to PlusNet first.

Brian

Kikusui
Hooked

@jab1  I hope these two additional screenshots from my Netgear Router are also helpfulrouter 1.jpgrouter2.jpg

jab1
Legend

@Kikusui They are useful 😀 I would suggest you Report a fault at: https://faults.plus.net

John
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Hi there,

I'm really sorry to see you're  having speed issues.

I can see you've had some drops last week that seems to have caused your speed to be automatically capped on to the 2mbps to 4mbps profile. I've tested your line and the tests are showing a high resistance fault, which this is likely the underlying issue so before resetting your line, I'd like to arrange an engineer with you to investigate further.

Could you reply to the ticket I've logged on your account Here with when you'll be available for a visit? If you can post back once you've responded, I'll make sure we book the engineer as soon as we can.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Kikusui
Hooked

Thank you for getting back to me @Gandalf . I have now replied to the ticket that tou have raised.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Cheers, I can see we've booked the engineer visit and updated the ticket with the appointment details. Smiley

Let me know how it goes.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet