cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Signal range is very bad

FIXED
Naveen

Signal range is very bad

I have a HUB 2 router and it was perfect until recently (3 months ago).

The range and speed has drastically reduced in my bedroom where I have set up home office. Connection keeps dropping and I have wait after each click of my mouse button for things to load. Its very frustrating. Speed is around 65MBPS in the living room where the hub is located but the moment I walk into bedroom its gone (speed of ~2MBPS) and fluctuating.

To fix this I bought a TPLink range extender but his not helping as well. I have sit close to the range extender for it to pick up upto 9 or 10 MBPS.

I live in a same level 2 bed flat. The distance between my home office setup to the router is 4.75 meters and 1 wall in between. 

any ideas what might be happening here and how to fix this please?

Tags (4)
2 REPLIES 2
Mr_Paul
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 11

Re: Signal range is very bad

Fix

@Naveen 

Your WiFi signal might be suffering from interference from your neighbours.

I have an app on my Android phone called "WiFi Analyser", (other similar apps are available), that displays graphically which channel and signal strength each WiFi Access Point locally is transmitting on.

I used this to see that my WiFi was suffering interference from my neighbour, the other half of our semi-detached.

The reason that your range extender isn't helping much could be due to the same interference.

What channels is your Hub's Wifi set to? In a web browser, go to 192.168.1.254 > Wireless (middle of top row of purple boxes) .

For example, the options are: Smart, Channel 1, 6 or 11 at 2.4GHz. Smart is not always "Smart"!

If your's is set to Smart, then fixing it on one of the other options might be better. The app I mentioned will show you which is the clearest one.

Naveen

Re: Signal range is very bad

@Mr_Paul 

This helped, thanks!