Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Router keeps disconnecting

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 255

Re: Router keeps disconnecting

Hi Jan.

Thanks for that information.  The light indicates that you are getting no signal - which confirmed by the numerous 'waiting for PADI' messages, but as you do not appear to be getting many DSL drops, I'm guessing that @Dan_the_Van may be correct in blaming the computer - have you checked that the grey DSL cable is fully seated?, although I suspect it will be.

As it is a while since I've used a Windows computer, I don't know, but that Version looks a bit old - not that it should be causing any problems, I don't think - but it is something worth considering.

@Dan_the_Van  / @MisterW  - any further thoughts, although I'm leaning towards Dan's suspicion of the port/card?

John
Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 74

I wondering if a factory reset would an idea at this stage.

"Use a paper clip or something pointed to press in the reset pinhole button on the back of the router.

Keep the button pressed for 20 seconds. When the light on the front of your hub turns green, release the reset button."

The Hub will no go through the powerup sequence

Greenwalker
Dabbler

Thanks - before I do that, and bearing in mind my very limited knowledge, is trying the 'reset' likely to cause me to 'lose' anything?

Jan

jab1
Legend

No, you will not lose anything at all - all the 'reset' does is reset your connection, possibly 'unblocking' something. Just note it can take  ~5 minutes or so to complete.

John
Greenwalker
Dabbler

Thank you. i will give it a go in the morning, and monitor the situation. I will let you know.

Thank you so much for your advice.

Jan

Greenwalker
Dabbler

Update: I went through the factory reset procedure first thing this morning, but have just had another 'disconnect'. I have attached the latest event log, if that is any help.

Thanks

Jan

jab1
Legend

Morning Jan

I may be wrong here, but looking at that log, I'm leaning towards a dodgy Hub being the issue here - the presence of 'BOOT' in there suggests this, but I would prefer someone with more networking knowledge to comment - @MisterW  / @Dan_the_Van  ?

Do you by any chance have another router to test this thought?

John
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 396

I'm not sure I like this entry

WAN Auto-sensing detected port Ethernet WAN

@Greenwalker have you got something plugged in to the red WAN port ?

I'm leaning towards a dodgy Hub being the issue here - the presence of 'BOOT' in there suggests this,

but the boot is purely down to the router reset from the power button

System start Button press (PowerButton)

Looking at the last reset There's nothing apart from the Dos warnings at 07:00 , in the log to indicate a problem e.g ppp drop before the router was reset at 7:27 ?Huh

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Greenwalker
Dabbler

If you mean the one on the back of the router, with WAN in red - no, nothing plugged in there.

Jan

jab1
Legend

@MisterW wrote:

I'm leaning towards a dodgy Hub being the issue here - the presence of 'BOOT' in there suggests this,

but the boot is purely down to the router reset from the power button

System start Button press (PowerButton)

Looking at the last reset There's nothing apart from the Dos warnings at 07:00 , in the log to indicate a problem e.g ppp drop before the router was reset at 7:27 ?Huh

Ooops, sorry - should have realised - but I'm still learning the ways of the Hub2 - maybe I should leave this to the experts?😉

John
Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 74

@MisterW 

For the record I have a " 11:07:31, 23 Nov. WAN Auto-sensing detected port Ethernet WAN" in my Hub Two log file. This was when my Hub was factory reset.

The OP was "08:37:42, 14 Jun. WAN Auto-sensing detected port Ethernet WAN"

I think the factory reset has brought this event to the foreground.

The decision now is which direction to take, another Hub or look into the PPP disconnects, Hub would be quickest if a spare is available locally.

Greenwalker
Dabbler

As this is all in a foreign language to me, I am leaving it to the experts, but if a new Hub is quicker, what do I need to do?

Jan

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

For the record I have a " 11:07:31, 23 Nov. WAN Auto-sensing detected port Ethernet WAN" in my Hub Two log file. This was when my Hub was factory reset.

@Dan_the_Van thanks for that. I've seen Hubs do strange things when something connected to the WAn port

If you mean the one on the back of the router, with WAN in red - no, nothing plugged in there.

@Greenwalker thanks for confirming.

Can we examine the need for the last reset at 7:27 in a bit more detail.

Did the Hub light change from Blue to Orange ?

Did ALL your devices lose internet access or just one ?

Could you still access the Hub gui on 192.168.1.254 ?

Can you confirm that the router didnt reset of its own accord, you powered it off and on ?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Greenwalker
Dabbler

i'll do my best to answer, in upper case below:

Can we examine the need for the last reset at 7:27 in a bit more detail.

Did the Hub light change from Blue to Orange ?  I THINK SO, BUT I WASN'T WATCHING CONTINUOSLY. IT WAS WHEN I WAS TRYING TO ACCESS A CLOUD DOCUMENT UNSUCCESSFULLY THAT I REALISED IT HAD GONE TO THE CONTINUOS ORANGE AGAIN.

Did ALL your devices lose internet access or just one ? I THINK THEY PROBABLY ALL DO - BUT I DID NOT CHECK THIS TIME.

Could you still access the Hub gui on 192.168.1.254 ? I DID NOT TRY WHILST 'DOWN', ONLY SUBSEQUENTLY.

Can you confirm that the router didnt reset of its own accord, you powered it off and on ? I CAN CONFIRM THAT I ALWAYS HAVE TO PRESS THE POWER BUTTON TO RESTART IT.

Hope that helps.

Jan

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

@Greenwalker so just to be clear, when you reset it at 7:27 it was showing continuous Orange BEFORE the power reset ?