cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reduced speeds over the years

chevybeef
Grafter

Re: Reduced speeds over the years

@jab1 @RealAleMadrid I'm pretty sure the issue is the copper between my master socket and the pit in the street outside.

I heard the OR engineer who came round to repair the line fault say he measured close to 80Mbps from the pit to the cabinet but his boss wouldn't confirm this when he visited me on the Saturday.

Presumably fixing the cable between that pit and my master socket is a big job so as long as it meets the minimum requirement I doubt they'll fix it.

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 255

And the Qube 'engineer' will be a total waste of time and energy - there is NOTHING he/she can do about OR faults.

John
chevybeef
Grafter

My area is blue - we're building in this exchange.

I have checked out the aa.net offerings and for £37pm I can get 160Mbps and 1TB quota with a £10 installation fee and a 1 month contract. Seems almost too good to be true.

My PN contract is coming to an end soon so it's definitely worth considering but I do hope OR finishes the build in the next couple months so I can compare.

Just a note on the aa.net "committed rate", it's 10Mbps/10Mbps so I guess at peak times?

aesmith
Pro
Fixes: 4

@chevybeef wrote:

Just a note on the aa.net "committed rate", it's 10Mbps/10Mbps so I guess at peak times?

That's City Fibre's clause covering them for contention within their distribution network.  I don't know how much real world experience is there to be found. Or whether that may change as they pick up more customers.

I think its pretty fair to say that Andrews and Arnold wouldn't be offering it if they weren't confident. They're not the sort of outfit to hide behind the small print.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@chevybeef wrote:

That is a bit odd.  However I am with A&A and have NEVER seen any slowdowns, as A&A invest in having enough capacity. 

If I had CityFibre available, I wouldn't hesitate upgrading to CityFibre 160/160 in preference to Openreach 115/20, both £37.

Screenshot 2024-04-05 at 17-22-30 Home 1 CityFibre Services.png

chevybeef
Grafter

@aesmith @Anonymous thanks thats good to know.

chevybeef
Grafter

@Anonymous @aesmith @jab1 @willcutforth something it bothering me about the advisor callback and qube engineer.

Is it standard procedure for a PN advisor to send a link via text to logmeinrescue?

He said he wanted to have a look at the master socket?

jab1
Legend

@chevybeef I don't know for 100% certainty, but I suspect this may be one of the new ways of the PN 'Help Desk'. I've no idea (a) why they have booked a Qube engineer for your problem - as said before or (b) what him 'looking' at the master socket is supposed to achieve, but I suppose we have to humour them.

John
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

Looking at the mess of wiring on post 51  a Qube engineer/tech should at the very least help sort out the home environment!

chevybeef
Grafter

LOL, that was just while I was doing the filter testing.

chevybeef
Grafter

I was told by the PN advisor yesterday that the Qube tech can remove a Banded Profile.

Can anyone corroborate?

I now understand why the speedtests are below the Data rate.

Because 88.2% of 40Mbps is just above 35Mbps due to IP/BRAS profile.

Is there a way to calculate the theoretical maximum sync speed from the noise margin, line attenuation and signal attenuation figures? Is that what the Maximum data rate is?

jab1
Legend

You were told WHAT about the Qube 'engineers' ability!!!!? I have heard some weird claims by 'advisors' in the past, but that takes the biscuit.

John
Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 74

@chevybeef 

What speeds do your neighbours enjoy as they would prove a valid comparison, they would also need to be connected to cabinet 16 as detailed in your opening post of the Broadband Availability Checker using your (redacted) phone number.

Assuming this is still valid information this link FTTC speeds related to distance from the street cabinet; so for you the Hub suggests you are around 0.6 Km from cabinet 16 going by the Maximum Data rate 44,450 Mbps , for reference I am around 300m from the street cabinet for me Maximum Data rate 89.472 Mbps
Your Line Attenuation has stubbornly stayed at 19.1 the higher the number the slow sync speed, mine is 11.6

From a recent post on another thread Line Attenuation 15.7 Maximum Data rate 50,415 Mbps.

You would need ducting for Openreach to replace the cable between "the pit" and your master socket, so does the incoming copper cable go directly to your master socket or is there a breakout box somewhere?

Edit: or do you have a overhead cable to your property

Dan

chevybeef
Grafter

Yeah, and that was only the beginning, I was told the Qube tech would test the line, make recommendations to OR, organise for the line to be fixed and restore my speeds to above 70Mbps. Music to my ears but sadly probably not realistic.

jab1
Legend

I suggest that agent is fully retrained - the Qube 'engineer' doesn't have the ability/authority to do that.

John