rpwd
Grafter

Re: RPWD Speed Problem

the speed is still slow this morning. never faster than 0.3M
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

It won't change until the banding is removed and the underlying cause sorted (not necessarily in that order)
Can you answer the last question I asked
Can you describe exactly what happens when you lose connection and have to unplug the router to sort it - do any of the lights on the router turn red or is it that the computer loses the connection to the router rather than the router losing the connection to the exchange
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Quote from: rpwd
Thank you very much, Jim. I just uploaded a photo about my connections. The socket is on the wall, so I cannot see if there is a master socket or not.
The short adapter is connected to the wall socket. The gateway is connect to the adapter as shown in the picture.
Would you please help me to figure out what is the problem?

That looks like a modern master with a test socket to me.
If you undo the two screws the bottom half will pull out and you will find a test socket inside.
It also looks as if it may not be seated correctly as the left hand side looks to be stuck out further than the right - it may be that is the cause of your issues.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
jelv
Seasoned Hero

I also notice you have no phone plugged in? Is that normal or do you have one elsewhere?
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi rpwd,
The speed will still be the same until I lift the banding. I need you to remove the bottom half of the faceplate and plug the filter inthe socket behind. Once you have done that I can get the speed back again.
Jojo Smiley
rpwd
Grafter

the flat i rented before also use a socket on the wall like that. it's hard for me to take the front face of the socket out.
i do not use any phone. just the broadband.
i will try to remove the faceplate and find the test socket this afternoon. Hope there is one test socket there.
jelv
Seasoned Hero

i do not use any phone.

You need to borrow a telephone (preferably wired not cordless) and check the phone line is working correctly. If there's noise on the phone line that needs reporting to whoever you pay for the phone rental before addressing broadband issues (broadband just won't work correctly on a dodgy phone line).
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

i will try to remove the faceplate and find the test socket this afternoon. Hope there is one test socket there.

Please let me know when you do this Smiley
rpwd
Grafter

thank you all. I did check the phone line because I got a wired phone by myself although I seldom use it. After raising the faulty yesterday afternoon recommended by OldJim, the support team has contacted my wife for checking the line. They also replied email to me said that it was a fault caused by BT line. Anyway, I will move the bed and find if there is a test socket hinding behind the faceplate this afternoon. Then I will post the result here to see if there is a solution for that.
Really thanks.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

HI rpwd,
just bear in mind that you won't see any difference when you plug into the test socket, but I just want you to leave it in there so I can remove the banding in with the knowledge that if any more issues appear it's more likely to be external. I'd also recommend using a different filer while you're at it.
Jojo Smiley
rpwd
Grafter

for the current speed, it won't be worse to leave the line into test socket. I will bear with it untill receive confirmation here from you that the banding thing has been lifted.
thanks for reminding the speed don't change thing, otherwise i will be confused for there is no change happend.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Are you in the test socket now?
rpwd
Grafter

Dear Joanne, I've just checked the socket behind the faceplate. there's no test socket at all.
what can I do now?
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

I can see the socket - circled - just stick a filter in it
rpwd
Grafter

yes, Jim. definitely there is a filter shown in the following picture i took yesterday.
then the router is connected to the filter. there is another socket on the filter for phone, which is empty at this moment.