cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Powerline adapter problem

jameswcole

Powerline adapter problem

Hi folks, have tried a pair of TP-Link TL-PA251 with new plus net router, but they don't connect - the ethernet light doesn't flash, only the power light which then goes into standby after a couple of minutes of no network. I'm pretty sure I have set up correctly, and they work at my brothers house in same configuration. so thinking there's either a problem with my home electrical circuits -  lots of forum users mention different 'phase' or 'ring circuit' but I have no idea what that means - or a settings issue with plus net router.
as nothing i can find in the forum suggests plus net router compatibility problems with TP link problems, I'm thinking it must be house circuitry. router is upstairs, trying to get Ethernet point downstairs. any suggestions for checking if upstairs and downstairs sockets are on different circuits and if that could be it? or an explanation of phasing so i can look into that?
any suggestions gratefully received!
cheers
James
25 REPLIES 25
greshoff
Grafter

Re: Powerline adapter problem

I think the issue is to do with the ring main circuits. Houses usually have separate ring circuits for upstairs and downstairs. You cannot use hopeplugs/powerline adapters across ring main circuits. ie plug one in upstairs and the other downstairs
Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 73

All houses would normally have more than ring main one for each floor. Powerline adapters do work across rings mains as mine do with no problems.
Does your consumer unit use RCD as these can cause them not to connect.to each other. It has also been suggest extension leads with surge protector cause the same issue.
Dan.
IngeJones
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

I can confirm they work across rings, as I have my Devolo kit doing so quite well.  They need to be on the same something... rail?  It's more at fusebox level.
jameswcole

thanks Dan, not using any surge protection and both adapters are plugged straight into wall sockets, no extension bars.
how would i go about checking if RCD used? no idea about electrics as you can probably tell. guess that if there are two circuits, upstairs and downstairs, with separate fuses in the fuse box then they are on separate circuits - will check that tonight, but where does the RCD come into it?
cheers, James
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

If you have a laptop (or a computer with ethernet near the router) the best way to test the powerline adapters is to plug each into a separate socket on the same double socket outlet if you have one available close enough to your router (make sure both are switched on at the socket).
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
hopkiathome

Have a look at your consumer unit to see if there's a little yellow button there,but have to say I am using powerline adaptors on a circuit with an RCD in the consumer unit with no problems.
jameswcole

Quote from: 77
If you have a laptop (or a computer with ethernet near the router) the best way to test the powerline adapters is to plug each into a separate socket on the same double socket outlet if you have one available close enough to your router (make sure both are switched on at the socket).

thanks, will try this - all this will do is confirm if the units themselves are working though i think?
Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 73

James reading your first post,  I would expect the nearest to the router network light to be on, you've not got a faulty network cable? Follow 77 32 33 suggestion to check they work next to each other would be a good starting point.
Screw Fix would be a good place to look for examples of consumer units with RCD but I would expect to see the word RCD on the switches. It is only a suggestion they might cause the issue.
Dan
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Quote from: greshoff
I think the issue is to do with the ring main circuits. Houses usually have separate ring circuits for upstairs and downstairs. You cannot use hopeplugs/powerline adapters across ring main circuits. ie plug one in upstairs and the other downstairs

I've successfully used PA-211 not only on different ring circuits, but ring circuits on different fuse boxes (but on the same meter).
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
jameswcole

Quote from: Dandroid
James reading your first post,  I would expect the nearest to the router network light to be on, you've not got a faulty network cable? Follow 77 32 33 suggestion to check they work next to each other would be a good starting point.
Screw Fix would be a good place to look for examples of consumer units with RCD but I would expect to see the word RCD on the switches. It is only a suggestion they might cause the issue.
Dan

yes, ur right Dan, the adapter connected to the router displays ethernet network connection LED, the other one doesn't. thanks also for the RCD pointers, will have a look this week when at home
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Quote from: IngeJones
They need to be on the same something... rail?

I think you are referring to phase but that usually goes without saying in a domestic environment.
There have been instances on here......
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
adagio
Grafter

Is there not utility software to test the connectivity? There is also what looks like a useful FAQ here
http://www.tp-link.com/lk/support/faq/?keywords=TL-PA251KIT
I have successfully used powerline adapters for some years on separate mains loops.
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

TP-Link adapters come with the utility on a CD but it's also available to download from their site.
I use it on mine.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
jameswcole

Quote from: adagio
Is there not utility software to test the connectivity? There is also what looks like a useful FAQ here
http://www.tp-link.com/lk/support/faq/?keywords=TL-PA251KIT
I have successfully used powerline adapters for some years on separate mains loops.

looks good, thanks, will work through. but first will test the individual adapters, then check for RCDs - as seems that if they are there for both upstairs and downstairs then i may well be wasting my time checking all the IP settings.
Strat - is this TP link online process (http://www.tp-link.com/lk/article/?id=62) the same as on the CD that came in the box?
cheers
James