cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet please help!

xRainex
Grafter

Re: Plusnet please help!

Thats good to hear Jojo  Smiley but does this mean that the router is going to have to stay connected directly to the master socket indefinitely? Its usually run on an extension cable because the router needs to be upstairs, do you think if I moved it back it would just become unstable and the speeds would drop again?  Sad
knowdice
Rising Star

How are you extending?
i.e. are you plugging your micro-filter in the phone socket on the wall and just extending the ADSL RJ11 cable?
or are you extending the whole phone line and putting the micro-filter at the router end?
How long is the extension lead?
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Extending the telephone socket to router cable is frequently bad news.
In addition to knowdice's questions, when you had the router on the extension where did you have telephones (or anything else) plugged in to the telephone line?
If you got hold of a long ethernet cable to provide connectivity upstairs it would be far better. CAT 5e ethernet cable can safely go up to 100 meters without causing any problems (conversely 2M of telephone extension can cause problems as they are frequently not very good quality). If you need multiple connections upstairs consider something like this or if you need wireless upstairs something like this (wireless b/g/n + 4 spare Ethernet 10Base-T/100Base-TX - RJ-45 ports).
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
xRainex
Grafter

Okay well I have the microfilter plugged unto the main socket downstairs, the phone and the extension cable is plugged into that. There is another phone upstairs but it doesn't need to be plugged into a phone socket its just plugged into the mains so I assume thats not a problem? I'm just extending the RJ11 cable and I think its roughly 25 metres long.
Basically the only reason I need the router upstairs is to connect an Xbox 360 to it via ethernet. So should I just leave the router downstairs and buy an ethernet to run up to the Xbox?
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

HI xRainex,
It would definitely be better to leave the router downstairs and run an ethernet up in that case. What's the extension cable you have plugged into the filter for?
Jojo Smiley
jelv
Seasoned Hero

I assume that the phone you have is a cordless phone with two handsets. The master which plugs in to the filter in the socket downstairs and the second one upstairs. We have seen odd problems with cordless (DECT) phones where double filtering makes an improvement, but run as you are with the router downstairs to see how things are before we consider that possibility.
Quote from: xRainex
I'm just extending the RJ11 cable and I think its roughly 25 metres long.

Yowie! I don't like that at all.
Quote from: xRainex
So should I just leave the router downstairs and buy an ethernet to run up to the Xbox?

The other possibility if you only need connectivity for one device upstairs is a pair of Homeplugs which extend the ethernet over your electricity ring main. That would remove the need for a wire going up the stairs. E.g. http://www.ebuyer.com/search?page=1&sort=pricelow&limit=10&q=homeplugs&filtermfr=143
xRainex
Grafter

Thanks for the suggestions jelv  Grin the Homeplugs look really good, but we've just decided to leave the router downstairs and buy a wireless adapter for the Xbox. The connection seems a lot more stable now with the router being plugged into the master socket, if its left like this from now on can I expect my speeds to increase a little more?
jelv
Seasoned Hero

I would think so. When Jojo has seen your connection stay absolutely stable for around 3 days she will probably request the removal of the banding. That may lift your sync speed to 3000 or more.
xRainex
Grafter

Awesome, thanks for all your help, its very much appreciated.  Smiley
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi xRainex,
The line's still dropping. If you've followed all the tips in the troubleshooting guide then I suggest raising a fault.
Jojo Smiley
xRainex
Grafter

Yeah I tried everything in the guide, the router is still plugged into the master socket, I had to disconnect it once today when I was moving it around to a new permanent position downstairs but it sucks to hear the connection is no better  Sad
Guess I'll be raising a fault. Thanks Jojo  Smiley
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Sorry couldn't help any further but there comes a point where it's not so simple and it has to go to the faults team. I'm sure we'll get it sorted though! Smiley
xRainex
Grafter

Thats okay its not your fault  Grin I'll remain hopeful that the faults team can help me out. Thanks for all your help though Jojo. Smiley
xRainex
Grafter

Since my last post interleaving has been turned on for my line and the stability seems to be a lot better now, not noticing any disconnections so far but I've been away for the last 4 days so not 100% sure its been fine, router uptime displays 4 days so I'm assuming alls been well. However the speed still isn't very good Sad a quick speedtest got this
Is there no way to improve it or am I stuck with this speed forever?
knowdice
Rising Star

Can you post your stats again?
Previously you had a downstream of 56dB with SNR margin of 19dB I would say that you should be able to at least achieve 2mbs with those figures.