Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet With Sky Router

JayLaFunk
Dabbler

Plusnet With Sky Router

Hi,
Trying to set up my plusnet account with a sky wireless router through windows vista as my plusnet router only has 1 outlet and the sky router has 4, have connected to the sky router no problem Wirelessly with a laptop but where do I put my plusnet account settings to connect to the internet wirelessly, I have no internet connection.
Regards
5 REPLIES 5
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Plusnet With Sky Router

Hi there,
You'd need to put your username and password into the sky router's interface, and I'm not sure if they allow them to be used on other ISP networks - I believe it's a custom firmware that Sky have the routers shipped with that stops this from happening. You might be able to flash it with a standard netgear firmware (assuming it's a netgear router you have there? If not then you'd need a standard firmware for whatever model it is) which might help, but that's not really something we'd be able to support I'm afraid.
Hope that helps somewhat, sorry it's not really a conclusive answer.
JayLaFunk
Dabbler

Hi Matt,
Thanks for the reply, I did try to do that through the Sky router IP address but could not see or find an option for my Plusnet account info, you are probably right about it being specific for Sky customers only, pity as it would give me some more ports to play with.
Cheers
NedLudd
Grafter

Sky routers use one of two methods of validation. Some (PPPOA) use the username and password which is hard coded in the firmware. Some (MER) use the mac address of the router.
Both types can be flashed to be a 'normal' router. More details can be found at skyuser.co.uk!
Geoff,
York.
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

I have used an ex-Sky DG834GT on PlusNet in the past.
I flashed it to standard firmware first though; I would not have expected it to authenticate otherwise and TBH didn't even try.
JayLaFunk
Dabbler

Thank you all, now realise I will have to have it flashed.