cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ethernet Not working, Wireless fine?

sanctuary
Dabbler
Posts: 11
Registered: 10-12-2012

Ethernet Not working, Wireless fine?

Greetings.

I had my Fiber Plusnet installed a few days ago (Tuesday the 4th to be exact) and have only today managed to get it up and running after a talk with customer service.
Now, in a nutshell. I can get online and browse via the Wireless ( Am currently tethering the connection to my desktop) however, every computer I try to connect with a Wired connection, it wont seem to work (Limited or no Connectivity) and I have tried 2 computers, and 2 different cables. Same thing.

I'm pretty much out of idea's. Can anyone please shed some light on my situation.

Also, the router is the Technicolor TG582n FTTC


Thanks!
8 REPLIES
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Posts: 13,004
Thanks: 143
Fixes: 47
Registered: 27-04-2007

Re: Ethernet Not working, Wireless fine?

It sounds like a fault with the router to me, have you tried a factory reset?
Adam
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Community Veteran
Posts: 4,821
Thanks: 117
Fixes: 23
Registered: 14-07-2009

Re: Ethernet Not working, Wireless fine?

Or it could be you set fixed IP addresses on those devices that don't fall within the range used by your new router.
sanctuary
Dabbler
Posts: 11
Registered: 10-12-2012

Re: Ethernet Not working, Wireless fine?

Quote from: ReedRichards
Or it could be you set fixed IP addresses on those devices that don't fall within the range used by your new router.


How would I check this, and or solve the problem if it is the case?

Also, no. I have not factory reset, I was worried about breaking my new connection Sad
sanctuary
Dabbler
Posts: 11
Registered: 10-12-2012

Re: Ethernet Not working, Wireless fine?

Here is the CMD if it will help, bare in mind I'm currently using the Wireless tethered to my computer to post here, let me know if you want a CMD with the ethernet in.

Quote
Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.
C:\Users\sanc4>ipconfig/all
Windows IP Configuration
  Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : Kyle-PC
  Primary Dns Suffix  . . . . . . . :
  Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Mixed
  IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
  WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
  DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : mshome.net
Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:
  Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . : mshome.net
  Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller
  Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 48-5B-39-78-90-B8
  DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
  Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
  Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::f414:7f9e:86a:ddcb%10(Preferred)
  IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.222(Preferred)
  Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
  Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : 10 December 2012 15:55:12
  Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : 17 December 2012 17:52:23
  Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
  DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
  DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 239622969
  DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-14-AE-8D-80-48-5B-39-78-90-B8
  DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
                                      192.168.1.1
  NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled
Tunnel adapter isatap.mshome.net:
  Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
  Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . : mshome.net
  Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft ISATAP Adapter
  Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
  DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
  Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
Tunnel adapter Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface:
  Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . :
  Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface
  Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
  DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
  Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
  IPv6 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 2001:0:5ef5:79fb:4fe:100f:a956:43ce(Prefe
rred)
  Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::4fe:100f:a956:43ce%11(Preferred)
  Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : ::
  NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Disabled
C:\Users\sanc4>
Community Veteran
Posts: 26,637
Thanks: 868
Fixes: 10
Registered: 10-04-2007

Re: Ethernet Not working, Wireless fine?

That confirms that the networking settings on the PC are almost certainly the problem.
You need to go to the properties of the Local Area Connection and check that both Obtain an IP address automatically and Obtain DNS server address automatically are selected.
http://www.plus.net/support/software/dns/changing_dns_vista.shtml up to step 5 will take you to the right place.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
sanctuary
Dabbler
Posts: 11
Registered: 10-12-2012

Re: Ethernet Not working, Wireless fine?

Quote from: jelv
You need to go to the properties of the Local Area Connection and check that both Obtain an IP address automatically and Obtain DNS server address automatically are selected.
http://www.plus.net/support/software/dns/changing_dns_vista.shtml up to step 5 will take you to the right place.


Dude, it worked.

You are the man. Thanks!!! <3
Community Veteran
Posts: 26,637
Thanks: 868
Fixes: 10
Registered: 10-04-2007

Re: Ethernet Not working, Wireless fine?

You'll find these bits have change to 192.168.1.x
Quote from: sanctuary
Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:
   Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . : mshome.net
   Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller
   Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 48-5B-39-78-90-B8
   DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
   Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
   Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::f414:7f9e:86a:ddcb%10(Preferred)
   IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.222(Preferred)
   Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
   Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : 10 December 2012 15:55:12
   Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : 17 December 2012 17:52:23
   Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
   DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
   DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 239622969
   DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-14-AE-8D-80-48-5B-39-78-90-B8
   DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1 - this has probably disappeared
                                       192.168.1.1
   NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
sanctuary
Dabbler
Posts: 11
Registered: 10-12-2012

Re: Ethernet Not working, Wireless fine?

Indeed. The IP 4 was set to resolve the DNS non automatically, it fixed it right up

Thanks again!