Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ofcom Market Classification revision?

ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Ofcom Market Classification revision?

My Market 1 exchange has recently gained two LUU suppliers but it's still classed as Market 1 because these classifications were last revised by Ofcom in December 2010.  Is any new revision of these market classifications scheduled, or must I move to one of the new LUU suppliers if I want cheaper broadband?
3 REPLIES 3
Method0ne
Grafter

Re: Ofcom Market Classification revision?

I only noticed my exchange had been moved to Market 2 after checking into setting up broadband through Plus for a family friend, yet for at least a year prior to the switch - which I believe was some time in June or July this year - we had both Sky and TalkTalk available as LLU providers, I know this as I have set up peoples accounts for them and made sure their network is up and running after they've switched.
Probably not what you wanted to hear, but there is at least the chance that now you have LLU's in your area that BT might regrade it, and hopefully sooner that they did with mine!
James
Grafter

@RR
I think that realistically you'll be in for a bit of a wait.
From memory, it's only been done once in the last 2 years and I think the consultation period for that was about 6 months.
I know this isn't really what you wanted to hear, but I didn't want you to think that it would happen this side of the New Year.
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Thanks James.  I had a similar reply from Neil at Samknows.com who wrote:
I spoke with Ofcom about this around a month ago, and they didn't have any plans to upgrade the classifications at that time.

This actually works both ways as the exchange to the north of mine is classed as Market 2 despite having no LUU providers (Orange having given up).