cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Am I on an ADSL2+ exchange?

David_W
Rising Star

Am I on an ADSL2+ exchange?

Checking Samknows it gives a date of 31'st December (not far away) but I checked BT and it said:
"Our test also indicates that your line currently supports an estimated ADSL2+ broadband line speed of 5Mbps; typically the line speed would range between 3Mbps and 7.5Mbps. Our test also indicates that your line could support an estimated ADSL 2+ Annex-M broadband upstream line speed of 1Mbps and downstream line speed of 5Mbps; typically the downstream speed would range between 3Mbps and 7.5Mbps."
So I'm wondering if I actually can get ADSL2 now and if so, how do I get it switched on?  If I can't get it, is the 31st Dec date correct?
/edit Hayle exchange Sam Knows
8 REPLIES 8
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Re: Am I on an ADSL2+ exchange?

with your apparent current low download, I doubt if you would get much from ADSL2+, but I see that you are also due to get Fibre on the same date, that would be much more benificial, but cost more.
Give my love to G J Beads, one of these days I will get to their warehouse
David_W
Rising Star

I'd ignore the estimated speeds, I should get 16Mb+.  Fibre (FTTP too!) isn't due till end of 2012.
Current line stats:
Alcatel 20190 chipset information
                ATU-R (DS)                      ATU-C (US)
Modem Status:    Showtime (DMTDSL_SHOWTIME)
DSL Mode:        ITU G.992.1 (G.DMT) Annex A
ITU STD NUM:    0x03                            0x2
Vendor ID:      'STMI'                          'TSTC'
Vendor Specific: 0x0000                          0x0000
Vendor Country:  0x0F                            0xB5
Chip ID:        C196 (0)
DFE BOM:        DFE3.0 Annex A (1)
Capacity Used:  96%                            64%
Noise Margin:    5.5 dB                        17.0 dB
Output Power:    18.5 dBm                        12.5 dBm
Attenuation:    33.5 dB                        15.5 dB

Currently connected at 8128 but if I stick in a different router it'll drop to 29 or so, so maybe my router is mis-reporting my attenuation, dunno.
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

I think "currently supports ... ADSL2+" means it is available now; it would say "could support" if it wasn't. When my exchange was enabled the estimated date was the end of the month but I was able to request it mid month and it was live before the end of the month.
To request it raise a ticket along the lines
"From information supplied by the BT Availability Checker I believe ADSL2 is now available on my line.
I'd like to make this change now, please can it be actioned? My router is a TG585v8 which supports ADSL2/2+."
I think I followed the Update Product path through the Help Assistant, probably cancelled the Change Product dialogue when that started and clicked "I'd like to raise a question now".
Keep an eye on closed tickets when the request has been actioned. Once BT accept the order those should give you the change date.
David
David_W
Rising Star

Opened a ticket and already got a response with a regrade request, that was fast Cheesy  10 days till it becomes active isn't it?
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

That was quick. Smiley
It was 5-7 working days when I changed (actually took 7 calendar days), not sure if it is slightly longer now. A day after the regrade order was placed another ticket was added which gave the actual date - in fact two dates, a "commit date" when the work is done at the exchange and a "completion date" 12PM a day later. My change was done mid afternoon on "commit date" with broadband down for under 5 minutes. Sync speed changes then though Plusnet have to do some maintenance on the account (as they phrase it) to enable speeds above 8Mbps. That is normally done when completion is notified.
David
David_W
Rising Star

They have now upgraded me to ADSL2+ which is nice of them, can my profile be nudged to match my new speeds please? Smiley  I think I'm up to 11Mb now.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Done, I've updated your account as well to show the updated circuit details following the upgrade.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
David_W
Rising Star

Thanks Adam Smiley