cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No DSL Connection

LianneDowson

No DSL Connection

I received the email earlier today telling me my broadband was activated (phone line was activated last week), and proceeded to follow the steps in the booklet that came with the Technicolor router. For some reason it wouldn't connect through the front faceplate of my master BT phone socket but seemed to work fine in the test socket afterwards. I don't have or use any other phone sockets, so cutting them off by using the test socket isn't a problem.
After following the instructions in the booklet that came with the router to wait for 15 minutes, I managed to get online.
About an hour and a half after, it disconnected and the broadband light on the router started flashing, went solid green for a second, then flashes again, repeating this sequence.
I logged into the router gateway and it says there is no DSL connection.
On the off chance I am being able to connect, it asks me to login to the gateway, no matter what site I try and visit.
Seen as though it was only activated today, should I leave it and try tomorrow, or is there more likely an underlying problem somewhere seen as though it was working earlier?
Thanks Guys.
8 REPLIES 8
thesawdust
Grafter

Re: No DSL Connection

Login to the router and click connect - also check broadband username/password is correct in the gateway
If in doubt, give plusNET a call  Wink
LianneDowson

" Connection could not be established: Could not bring up link
Your DSL connection is down. Verify that your Technicolor Gateway is correctly connected to your phone line. If the problem persists, check your documentation."
Thanks for your suggestion but I get this. Ill call them tomorrow as I'd imagine they're shut now.Just thought I may get a quicker answer on here Smiley
thesawdust
Grafter

Lianne,
Give them a call now? They have staff working all night  Smiley
08004320200 or 03451400200
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

The Plusnet Digital Care Team staff who respond in the forums and could check your line are unlikely to be here now until the morning. However as thesawdust mentioned Customer Services are available via phone 24x7.
I'm assuming you have a Plusnet supplied TG582n router. A flashing Broadband light (third from the left) means the router is failing to connect to (sync with) the exchange. That is not good news. Since the connection worked initially I wonder if the router is faulty - does it feel hot to the touch? You could (and should) try with a different microfilter and a different router if you have one.
Since you had trouble connecting from the front face of the master socket I wonder if there is some loose wiring? Have you noticed any crackling on phone calls?
David
LianneDowson

I haven't used the phone yet. It was cheaper to get the broadband and phone here than just broadband elsewhere. Ill need to get some new batteries tomorrow.
Ive tried using the second micro filter and no luck.
Previously, we had BT Infinity installed, and when the Openreach engineer came out to install it, he couldn't get the broadband to connect through the socket at all. He had to wire something in the socket and then wired it through the gap at the bottom of my socket, then it went along the skirting boards to the openreach router. I pulled this wire out of the socket after we no longer had BT infinity (it barely felt like it was connected to anything inside) and now im starting to think I may have occidentally disconnected something important.
Although now im thinking about it, when the engineer came out to install the line again for PlusNet, he did the tests by plugging his machine into the socket, and there wasn't a problem.
thesawdust
Grafter

Something isn't right here, Get on that phone tomorrow and hope PlusNET can fix it  Wink
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Lianne,
First welcome to the forums and PlusNet -sad to hear the you have run into problems so early on.  PlusNet's customer care team who patrol here work 9-5:30 Monday to Friday so there s little chance that they will pick this up before Friday morning.
There are a few things though you can check out for yourself.  A flashing DSL light could point to a number of issues, some you can rule out for yourself.
First internal phone extension wiring and other connected equipment...
Is the router currently in the master socket?
Are there any wires attached to the faceplate?
Though you said you have no other phones something connected to the phone line not using a filter could cause the problems you describe - especially a Sky box.
You could try a different filter in the test socket.
It seems strange that you got connected and then the connection failed.  Is this a new phone circuit?  Is there dial tone on the phone side of the mater socket?  There is some possibility that a newly made joint has broken - it is not unknown.  Some time ago I had my phone line fail completely 90 minutes after the BTOR left having connected a different D-Side pair.  The new joint broke, which can happen with aluminium wires!
If you have no dial tone, you will need to get your phone line supplier to fix the problem.  If you get both broadband and phone services from PN, this will greatly simplify matters.  You will need to report the fault via the faults page in the portal see here.
You said you pulled a wire out of somewhere, was that before of after the installation?  If you feel confident you could take a look and see if there are any loose wires.  There should be just two wires connected - blue/white to terminal 2 (or A) and white/blue to terminal 5 (or B).
HTH

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

LianneDowson

Thanks,
The router is in the master socket, as we don't have any other sockets available. I have tried both filters through the test socket.
There are no wires at all from the very front plate (im assuming this is the face plate) but behind it (which I think may be a i-plate(then again, not sure as the front plate has an ADSL filter built in)) there is the blue, and blue and white wires you mentioned. However, they are not connected to anything else. Behind the second plate (I-plate??) there is an orange and white wire connected to the third plate, at the very back. There is also a green and black wire not connected to anything.
I did connect the Sky Box via wifi to the router earlier today, but have now disconnected it, and reset the router. Still no luck.
I accidentally pulled some wires out before the engineer came out for Plusnet (it was about 3 months ago when I did it).
I have not tested the phone as I didn't need it, just the broadband, so I will pick up some new batteries in the morning to test for a dial tone.
Thanks for your help anyway Smiley

Never  Mind guys, it is working this morning. Thank you Townman, I think it was the Sky Box causing the problem as I left the router off overnight, and it worked this morning. I wonder why the Sky Box could have caused this though.