Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New router installation problems

petlew
Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: New router installation problems

Ah ha! trying to find it in the wrong place, trying to find it in the PC based settings of the printer, should be looking in the printer itself.
Thanks again ReedRichards.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
petlew
Pro

By Friday last the new router (Netgear N300) was working just Ok, but I noticed it was a lot slower than the old one (Netgear DG834G) But I noticed throughout Saturday and Sunday the connection speeds were gradually speeding up, by today (Monday) it is ferociously quick.
My initial thought that was by coincidence PN were having problems over the weekend(?) but I didn't notice anyone else complaining about it. So I wonder, do new routers have a settling in period before reaching design or line compatible speed?
I never mentioned why I changed the router in the first place; the old one needed to be re-booted up to 4 or 5 times a day more if I was home all day, and it ran very hot, not just electrical appliance warm but very hot to touch (there are/were no ventilation issues) indeed I was quite wary about going out and leaving it on.
The new router not only is faster but is agreeably cooler to the touch. It does though appear to be designed to be mounted on its vertical stand rather than flat on a shelf (as the old one was) Is there really a reason for this?

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Did you take the old one apart to see if it was clogged up with dust inside?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
petlew
Pro

The DG834G is equipped with a multitude of vent holes presumably indicating some heat is normal , with its LED's on the case is almost translucent (white) no dust could be seen. In use the router lives in an area that is well ventilated and usually pretty dust free (yes! no such thing I hear you shout) But to be honest, I didn't strip it down and clean it.