cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New install - Slow speeds

xreyuk
Grafter

Re: New install - Slow speeds

Okay, I'm willing to give that a go, but isn't the disconnect going to make it look like my line is unstable to DLM, considering I've already had a disconnection today?
Acassim
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Xreyuk,
Apologies for the delay in getting back to you on this one. I've run a few tests on your line over the course of the day and each time the result comes back as a pass. Sync seems to match up with your download and upload seems to match your higher upload speed test results which defers us back to testing at your side to ensure it isn't a configuration issues or problem on your part of the network (from the BT master socket to your computer). This leaves us in the dilemma of booking an engineer and facing possible charges for the visit if no fault is found or it is deemed to be an issue on your own internal network.
Given this I would suggest that we test all we can before we look at forcing an engineer visit so that we can safeguard against this, the next few key factors to check would be that you have no programs sunning in the background when you run the speed tests as things like torrent software could well cause a drop in upload such as this. In addition would it be possible to check the speeds on another wired device?
When you're then ready to get this raised I would drop a note here for me and I'll take the details of the testing and raise it for you.

Thanks,
Adam C
xreyuk
Grafter

Hi Adam,
I'll run a couple of speed test over the next few days to see how stable the upload/download speeds appear to be. If they stay similar to the sync, I'll wait a couple of weeks to see if DLM decides to do anything about my line. As I can see, it keeps dropping me every morning to change the sync speed, and it's just getting lower and lower.
The speed test I did last night weren't too bad for the download, but for the upload, every test I did was under 7Mbps.
I'll give it a few days, if the speed tests seem consistent, I'll give it a couple of weeks of monitoring, and hopefully DLM will sort it out for me. Obviously, if there's anything major I'll get back in touch.
Out of interest, would you mind telling me which profiles I'm set on, my level of interleaving and current sync speeds?
Thanks.
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

As you have requested here's the information your looking for
Your profile on our end is 39.6 and your line is currently syncing at 41 down and 10.9 up
Unfortunately we can't see what profiles DLM has for your line at the moment. I'm not sure if that's a testing bug but hopefully when one of the DCT guys test it tomorrow they can find more
Based on your TBB graph I would imagine Interleaving has been set to High on your downstream
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
xreyuk
Grafter

Thanks Matthew.
I'll see if one of the guys tomorrow can get my other information from BT. I've been unable to retrieve my profile information from BT using their speed tester as well, so wonder if there is a problem somewhere with their profiling.
I assume it's normal for the profiles to be set slightly below the sync? On my speed tests this evening I was getting 38.6-39Mbps down and 10.1Mbps up.
Are you guys able to see line stats, such as error count on FTTC?
Thanks again.
Acassim
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Morning Xreyuk,
The difference in sync speed and throughput are seen because of the overheads. With FTTC you would take the sync speed and multiply it by .968 which will then give you the correct profile.
With regards to the DLM profile, you're currently set 43.5Mbps and as such I'll now update the profile on our side to match this as we haven't seen a Delata Report come through for this change yet.
On the topic of your line stats, we can indeed get to this information as part of the faults diagnostic and investigation process however this isn't something we would provide on request.

Thanks,
Adam C
xreyuk
Grafter

Hi Adam,
Thanks for the info. As you can see from my sig graph, BT or the DLM have been playing with my line this morning. I've had 3 disconnects and a slight increase then a decrease in speed (overall faster though). It also appears to have changed interleaving from high to low (i doubt it's completely off looking at pings).
No idea if this will stick though, I'll keep an eye on it but because of the disconnects I'll have to see what DLM decides. I'm assuming DLM knows the difference between BT/DLM forcing a resync or a random disconnect.
Terranova667
Pro
Fixes: 5

no it doesn't know the difference to DLM a disconnect is a disconnect whether it's done one automatically or one forced by an BTO engineer for example to DLM it's the same result connection dropped decide what to do . 
Acassim
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Thanks for the update Xreyuk,
Glad to see that things are moving around now, hopefully these changes will stick and continue to improve for you!
It looks like one of the faults agents updated your profile on our side this morning and on the initial change it was set to an incorrect speed (the higher value) so was moved back in line with the current sync speed so as to avoid any issues.
Let us now how you get on  Wink

Thanks,
Adam C
xreyuk
Grafter

Hi Adam,
Hopefully interleaving will eventually go off! I've got my two ping monitors on it and will keep track
Acassim
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Good stuff!
Keep us in the loop  Wink
xreyuk
Grafter

Just another quick question, my Plusnet profiles seem to be set for around 42/10. Is it normal to get consistently 2Mb/s below these values?
LinnPlusnet
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Xreyuk,
Your sync speed is 43Mbps/11.6Mbps and your connection profile on our side is set to 42Mbps download. If your throughput is around 2Mbps below these figures this is still considered within the acceptable limit.
I, personally, sync at 80Mbps/20Mbps, however, my throughput fluctuates between 75Mbps-78Mbps.
xreyuk
Grafter

Thanks Linn.
Been stable again today, so fingers crossed DLM has stopping messing about. After the disconnects yesterday, I was expecting it to mess around this morning.
I suspect this has been DLM playing around with me all along!
LinnPlusnet
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

It's possible! DLM can be sneaky like that  Wink
Glad to hear it's remained stable today. Let us know if you suspect anything's amiss though!