cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Customer - Zero Upload Speed - Down OK

Henysgol

New Customer - Zero Upload Speed - Down OK

Hi,

New customer switched from Sky ADSL to PLusnet.

Download speed is comparable and as expected fro my area - around 2.5 - 3.00 Mbs.  Upload is non existent with the majority of online speed test sites failing to complete because of it.  When running a test it will briefly flash uop a reading and then drop back to zero.

Internet browsing and sending small email attachments is painfully slow.

Was working fine prior to switchover which would suggest the infrastructure is ok.  Only difference is using the supplied Plusnet Router.  A TP link one gives similar results and keeps dropping connection (unlike the PN one) possibly due to the same zero upload connection speed.

Any thoughts?Huh

11 REPLIES 11
Baldrick1
Fixes: 420

Re: New Customer - Zero Upload Speed - Down OK

The Plusnet Hub Zero suffers from buffer bloat. This means that upload speed is throttled if you’re downloading in the background. At your speed everything will be painfully slow. Have you checked to see if you can get fibre? 

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Henysgol

Hi,

Thanks for your response.

Unfortunately fibre is not available in my area and there's no planned date either!

Here's hoping!

corringham
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 16

@Baldrick1, I didn't think they gave out Hub Zero with ADSL connections? Anyway since the problem is present with another router too I suspect it isn't buffer bloat. In any case most speed tests test upload and download separately.

@Henysgol, there are no guaranteed minimum speeds for upload, so you probably won't get much help. It'll be easier if you can find some other fault too - do the usual quite line tests, change the microfilter etc. Check the router stats for error, particularly with upload.

Baldrick1

Unless there’s been a recent change the Hub Zero is the standard ADSL offering. I know upload and download tests are separate but if another device is online downloading?

Moderator and Customer

corringham
Seasoned Champion

I'm not certain what routers they give out these days,  but I thought I read that Hub Zero was the VDSL offering, and they still gave out 2704n for ADSL? (and I know someone who was supplied with one not too long ago).  Anyway it is more common for upload to wipe out download than the other way around. If there was another device using the full download bandwidth that would surely show up in the download  part of the speed test?

Henysgol

Thanks for the replies.

I can confirm that they have supplied the 2704N and that no other devices are connected which could be using bandwidth.

I contacted P.N support earlier and they advised that they had 'made an adjustment to my settings' and that I should reboot the router after 4hrs.

well I've done that and ran a couple of tests again - Ookla bails out as usual due to no upload connection and the Google (M-Lab) one completed for once and reported an upload of 0.06Mbs !!

I guess you could argue that that's an improvement!.

I never thought to take note of what the Sky equivalents were but sure I recall getting around 0.3 - 0.5 up.  either way, sending emails was way quicker.

Thanks again for your replies.

I might have to switch back if this is what I have to look forward to for the next 12mths

Baldrick1

@corringham wrote:

I'm not certain what routers they give out these days,  but I thought I read that Hub Zero was the VDSL offering, and they still gave out 2704n for ADSL? (and I know someone who was supplied with one not too long ago).  Anyway it is more common for upload to wipe out download than the other way around. If there was another device using the full download bandwidth that would surely show up in the download  part of the speed test?

No. The 2704n IS the Hub Zero and issued to ADSL customers. VDSL customers get a Hub One, which is a BT Home Hub 5A with tweeked firmware.

Moderator and Customer

Baldrick1

@Henysgol

Can you get a mobile signal where you live? I have a Mifi unit that I use when I'm away and it works very well. Depending on your download requirements mobile broadband could be a lot faster and not prohibitively expensive.

Incidentally if you are seriously thinking of returning to Sky you should be aware that to cancel penalty free you only have 14 days from your sign up date, not the go live day.

Moderator and Customer

Henysgol

Yeah, I signed up on 10 October and the service didn't go live until 25 Oct - no option to cancel then!!

Guess I'll stick with it for now and will definitely consider Mobile Broadband next year.

Thanks again

corringham
Seasoned Champion

The 2704n IS the Hub Zero

Ah, thanks for the clarification. I use my own router so am a bit out of touch with the various names used.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,601

Hi there.

Sorry for the delayed response and that you're experiencing speed problems.

Our broadband tests are definitely showing something not right as there are a very high number of errored seconds on the upstream of your line as well as your upstream sync rate right down to 0.2mbps.

General Information
NTE Status:   NTE Power Status: Unknown Bypass Status:  

Upstream DSL Link Information Downstream DSL Link Information
Loop Loss: 67.0 55.5
SNR Margin: 3.2 8.0
Errored Seconds: 183 12
HEC Errors: 0  
Cell Count: 802 952
Speed: 224 3456

Maximum Stable Rate (KBPS): 2848 Fault Threshold Rate (KBPS): 2278
Mean Time Between Retrains (Seconds): 9581 Mean Time Between Errors Upstream (Seconds): 4
Indicative Line Quality: C Mean Time Between Errors Downstream (Seconds): 18

Line tests are showing a "Battery Contact" fault on the Openreach network which is likely the underlying problem.

I've reported this through to our suppliers and we've been advised of an estimated response time of by 09/11/18 23:59:59 for an engineer to go out and investigate further. Let us know how it goes over the next couple of days.

Unfortunately fibre is not available in my area and there's no planned date either!

Actually fibre is available, though the speeds are pretty dire due to how far you are from the cabinet(The green box in the road).

Featured Products

Downstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Downstream Handback Threshold(Mbps)

WBC FTTC Availability Date

High Low High Low    
VDSL Range A (Clean) 2.3 1.1 1.2 0.8 0.8 Available

It may be worth you filling out this formwize to query with the Openreach fibre enquiries team to find out if there are any plans to provide your line with faster fibre speeds.

Hope this helps.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet