Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My Profile Has Changed

Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Re: My Profile Has Changed

A spike of interference from something, anything just switched on at that time (or off). Boiler maybe? I'd guess that sync wasn't lost as the spike doesn't seem big enough to cause that.
ListerofSmeg
Grafter

I live in an old cottage, there is no boiler or central heating, everything is heating by a wood burner.
The only electrical heater I have is in my room, but that is connected to a different wall socket, how would I test the wall socket for this?
ListerofSmeg
Grafter

ListerofSmeg
Grafter

Anotherone
Champion

The SNRM variations that you are seeing are typical overnight variations - in fact for a long line they are pretty good, better than a lot that I've seen.
When you mentioned the drops in reply #59 (and #63), in my reply I was commenting on the spike at 2038 and today's I assume you mean at 0644.
As for testing sockets, it wouldn't be a case of that. With these things it's a case of whether an observed spike happens at the time the heater cuts in or out - if on a thermostat. Or any appliance switches on or off. They don't have to be in the same socket, indeed it may not even be on your property. If something that switches on or off causes a surge on the mains, you can sometimes see spikes. Such surges don't always have an effect by travelling up the mains, where cables run parallel, the mains spike can get induced on the phone line. Sometimes this is a problem in rural locations where phone lines and power share the same poles.
ListerofSmeg
Grafter

I'm happy that my line seems good for the length it's on.
Would you know why my net still won't go up tp 2.1Mb?  It's still stuck on 1.62 Mbps according to BT and my profile on Plusnet is 1.8Mb
Anotherone
Champion

Was that a typo...1.62 ?  If your sync speed is still 2083 then 1.83 should be the correct profile, rounded to 1.8 at the Plusnet end.
Just a comment which I forgot before regarding attainable speeds, this is just and estimated made by the modem/router and depends on SNRM and its own algorithm at the time it estimates it. It's not a figure that should be relied upon (or come to that taken much notice of).
Your sync speed should rise further if & when DLM decides to drop your Target SNRM down to 3dB and that is likely to depend on the current error rates.
ListerofSmeg
Grafter

This is what my modem/router shows:
Attainable Rate (Kbps): 1668  716
Rate (Kbps): 1839  715
The BT Speed test Shows:  Down 1.24 Up 0.33
Plusnet: Current line speed: 1.8 Mb

Anotherone
Champion

Ah, I see. Now, you said there was a drop at 0749 but as the graph you posted didn't show any drops, I was assuming you meant the spike.
Graphs of the following time slot may help.
Clearly whatever is causing the interference has re-appeared, is generating a lot of noise which has caused a re-sync with the slower speed.
What possibly might have got switched on at that time?
First consider anything electrical/electronic (including lighting) in your house that isn't on either 24/7 or isn't used regularly - ie each day, because the interference hasn't been present for a day or two.
Anything/one nearby that may be using stuff that could create a problem such as a street light that may have come on (although it shouldn't be in daylight), a farm using certain apparatus etc. - the list can be endless. Do you have a portable MW/AM radio at all?
ListerofSmeg
Grafter

The neighbour was using a hedge strimmer earlier, but nothing has been turned on in the house.
Anotherone
Champion

Can you post the current SNRM and sync graphs?
ListerofSmeg
Grafter
Anotherone
Champion

What ever is causing interference is still there. Some detective work needed.
ListerofSmeg
Grafter

The SNR has dropped, but seems consistent
ListerofSmeg
Grafter