Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My Dynamic IP address is permanent?

FIXED
MonkeyMonkey

My Dynamic IP address is permanent?

Hi

My dynamic IP address has remained the same for 2 weeks. Is this normal or do I have a Static IP address (Fibre Broadband)?

I have never requested a  Static IP

How often to dynamic IP addresses change, without the need to switch router on and off?

Thanks

5 REPLIES 5
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Re: My Dynamic IP address is permanent?

Fix

From what I can see the IP address which you're assigned and posting here from is dynamic. The connection hasn't dropped in 11 days though which is why you've had the same one for a while. Prior to then, you had a different IP. Dynamic IPs are fairly sticky though as they're allocated from a relatively small pool specific to an exchange, so the likelihood you'll get the same IP back even after your connection disconnects and reconnects is fairly high.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
MonkeyMonkey

Thanks for feedback. I had thought a dynamic address changes every few days

Appreciate your detailed and quick reply

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

The only time a dynamic IP address might change is when a new PPP session is established.  A new IP address is established when...

• There has been a loss of sync due to...
    • Power failure to the router
    • The router being disconnected from the service line
    • There being a "noise" event on the line causing a disconnection
    • DLM action modifying the line's profile
  • BTw engineering activity disconnects PPP connectivity
  • The router checks for / applies firmware updates

If the PPP session is down for less than circa 90 minutes, there is more than a fair chance that the same IP address will be reallocated.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

MonkeyMonkey

Discovered router has a reboot schedule function, have enabled and this should help get a new dynamic IP more quickly. The auto reboots should also give a better sense of privacy and negate against IP based network hacking probes/attempts

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

@MonkeyMonkey  Not really worth bothering as a reboot of the router will probably come up with the same IP, as has been said the addresses are from a limited range and are pretty sticky. but see what happens.